Party!!! Organization for "LUFFs"

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Yay! It's a party! I'm so excited. I can't wait to see all of your organization projects. I'm also ridiculously excited about my newly organized guest room. First, let's take a look at the "BEFORE":

As you can see, the room had basically become a dumping ground. I kept the door shut most of the time and I would have been horrified for a guest to see the room let alone stay in it. And now?

Ahh, so much better. The challenge was 1) Finding a new "home" for the extra stuff in the room; and 2) Organizing what was staying in the room to make it attractive and functional.

I really wanted to use the room as a sewing room in the 99% of the time a guest wasn't staying with us, so my first step was organizing my fabric stash and sewing supplies. Here's a photo of my fabric in the closet BEFORE:

I bought an inexpensive hanging closet organizer at Walmart, and sorted my fabric by color. Take a look at the AFTER:

It was so easy and inexpensive, and now I can actually see what I own. That in itself is priceless. I also bought 4 plastic containers at Walmart for $1.50 each to organize sewing supplies, craft supplies and ribbon (who knew I owned so much ribbon?!).

Inside each container I sorted different items into Ziploc baggies to make them easy to find. No more digging for a sewing needle in a haystack of...misc sewing...stuff.

And if you take a look at the really awful picture below, you'll see the filing cabinet I was able to score from an office that was giving it away for FREE!

Oh, and if I'd been really on top of things I would have sorted all of my paint fan decks and cards into fancy containers...but at least they're all in one handy place.

Now out of the closet and back to the "pretty" stuff. I placed my Mom's old sewing machine (which I heart) on her childhood desk. I can't wait to start sewing like a mad woman!

The desk doubles at a nightstand by the bed, and the cute little clock is also an alarm clock, which is very handy for guests. I also added a shade I already owned to a lamp by the bed (a must for guests).

Finally, here's a photo of the dresser in the room. I've left a few drawers empty for guests, but use the others for some of my off season clothes. I also made sure there's a mirror handy in the room. It not only reflects light, but it's a thoughtful touch for guests...so they don't have to walk out into the house in the morning with their hair looking like a bird's nest. Know what I mean?


The best part about this organization makeover? It cost next to nothing. I literally spent $16, and that was for the closet organizers. Everything else was repurposed from other places in the house. And honestly, just getting rid of the junk and creating a clean, uncluttered space was enough to make for an inviting room.

Now it's your turn. Link up below. I'll post party highlights on Wednesday! Thanks for participating!



AnNicole

29 Suburbanites Said:

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Your new guest room looks so soothing and inviting! I love your fabric storage idea - genius! Thanks for hosting this party and getting us in gear! {I am having problems linking my post..it cuts off the address even when I cut and paste in Mclinky} Sorry! Hope you have a wonderful week!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Sorry Stephanie - I had technical difficulties for a moment but got it all sorted out. Thanks for participating!

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Looks great!!! Thanks for hosting! I love the LUFF idea!

Lori said...

Your guest room looks nice and clean! I'm joining in, but a bit embrassed at the huge mess I had! Just keeping it real!

Anonymous said...

Great multi-functional space. The guest room looks so cozy and inviting. I'm sure your guests will love it. Thanks for hosting the party!

Megan Lee said...

I love how it turned out. What a great space to sew!

Holly said...

What a perfect day to find your blog! I am starting to pack to move sometime in the next couple of months. Just did half our library/office on Friday and got rid of all my old 3 1/2" computer disks, cassette tapes, etc. I'll check back again. Thank you.

Tonya said...

I love that new room! So fresh and relaxing!

Leanne said...

I love your guest room. The bedding and pillows are beautiful. It's so wonderful to have your mother's sewing machine and desk in there. I enjoy visiting your site. You're so inspiring! Thanks for hosting this fun party.

Laura said...

Well, my husband thinks you rock for hosting this little shin-dig! Because of you, I have cleaned up one messy little corner, and he is so happy! (Neat freak! How did he end up married to me?) truth is, I am very grateful to you. you have given me the kick in the back side to do at least one small bit.
Your guest room is lovely. Isn't it funny how you had almost everything you needed to make that happen?

Kate Riley said...

What a gorgeous room, when can I come over ?

Agoura Antique Mart said...

Great ideas. I am glad I found your blog. Need organizing ideas all the time. Off to browse. Maria

Amber Filkins said...

Everything looks fabulous! I love looking at all of your fabric in that storage hanger. What a great idea! I can't believe those bins were only $1.50. Maybe they're smaller than they look in the pic.

My daughter is using my childhood desk. ♥

Um, she's also using my dresser that she wrote on the side of in pencil, "I ♥ Wyatt". :)

Tracy said...

Looks great! Wow! I especially love the area for your fabric storage. Great idea! Your guests will definitely feel right at home in that beautiful space. Happy sewing!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

In your first "organized" picture, why did you stuff under that bed? Huh???

Deb said...

Wish I could participate as a Linker. Someday... For now I'll appreciate all the great tips.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh my word, AnNicole!! It looks fabulous!!! :) I am in love with your fabric organizer. I have been fretting over what to do with mine...lightbulb moment. :) Thanks for sharing this post!

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Awesome, transformation!
I love the idea of storing fabric in the closet hanger thing. I love that mirror above the bed too.
The desk is such a cute idea for a sewing table.

Melissa said...

Love these storage ideas..the room looks lovely. thanks for hosting!

Frugal Home Designs said...

Looks beautiful, and what a stash of fabric. It looks like everything I love. Where do you get your fabric?

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

The room looks great! I'm jealous...
Thanks so much for having the party. I love organizing ideas!!

Danielle

Pauline Wiles said...

Thanks, I enjoyed this!
It's all too easy for guest rooms to become the A.N.Other space in a home :)

Rebekah said...

I am picking up one of those hanging organizer thingies on my very next visit to Walmart. It's a perfect solution. Fantastic transformation! Wanna come help my with my guest room next? :)

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, the room is beautiful, but I want to go "shopping" in your fabric and ribbon stash!

Julie Johnson said...

Such great organization! LOVE the tips. After the kitchen remodel I'm heading to my studio....

Sabrina said...

Way to clean up! So much function in this pretty little space now. I use our guest bedroom for all kinds of extra storage too. You've inspired me to get it more organized! Great job and great party!

Kelsey said...

"I once scrapbooked" LOL!

CourtneyM said...

Absolutely beautiful! Can I ask where you got the pretty curtains?

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Courtney - I bought the curtains a few years ago at Ikea. They're my favorite. You can sometimes still find them on Ebay. They're called "Freja Tapet".

 

blog design

Graphically Designing

our suburban cottage featured

Home & Garden Blogs
Lifestyle Blogs - Blog Rankings
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected