De-Brassifying a Fireplace Surround

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

If you’re one of that rare breed that was just introduced to the internet, and even more recently introduced to the world of home decor blogs, this post is for you. You will be stunned and amazed as I turn my shiny brass fireplace surround into something entirely new…and from this century.

Here’s what my fireplace surround looked like until yesterday. I know the glare from the brass is burning holes in your eye sockets…sorry about that.

IMG_2731

But with the help of some magic heat resistant paint, I was able to transform old glarey into something much easier on the eyes. I simply taped off the areas to be painted and used an inexpensive brush to apply the paint. This paint also comes in spray paint form, but I didn’t want to bother with removing the entire fireplace surround…and it’s a little to cold and wet outside to use spray paint at the moment (anyone else ready for spring?).

IMG_2733

And the finished product? Ahhh, much better.

 IMG_2738

So there you have it. Happy painting!

sig

47 Suburbanites Said:

jeana said...

We did that last year and EVERYone notices and loves it. Its one of those small in-expensive things you can do that make a BIG impact. Looks GREAT!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! So much better! You can realize now how much the brass really glared out at you before.
It really is the small details - I painted a white outlet in my kitchen the same color as the walls and it's like I made a huge change to the room! For two years it's bothered me! :)
Sarah

Mary said...

Beautiful! I think I need to jump in the car and get to Home Depot...I have one that I was going to throw out and replace but I may as well paint it first! Thanks for the idea! ~mary~

Carry Grace said...

This such a great project. I wish I had know that it was possible to do this when we lived in our first house. I lived with that brass fireplace surround for way too long.

slip4 said...

Wow. thanks for sharing. We have an old brassy surround too. I'm going to paint it as soon as I can!!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I have a friend (IRL) who just did this at her house and it's amazing the difference it made. Looks great!

Kate Riley said...

Oh, wow, what a difference ! I LOVE that paint - it changed my fireplace surround too !! Funny, because you spend $15 dollars on a can then only use a few tablespoons. But it's SOOOOO worth it ! Fabulous darling !

Adelle said...

Love it!
Patience and meticulousness (is that a word?) is SO important with this kind of thing!

This brings to mind the time I decided to paint my tacky bathroom vanity black. With spray paint.

Patience and meticulousness I have not.

Yet another reason why I need your blog...

Dolores said...

You have officially inspired me to paint my icky brass fireplace! Your makeover is fantastic! I just stumbled upon your blog and I am loving every entry. Adding you to my reader, stat! Can't wait for more inspirations a la "Suburban Cottage."

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Much better!! I'd type more, but I'm having trouble seeing my screen after the brass hit my eyes in the first picture. ;) ;)

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

That is an excellent product. We used it to paint a built in BBQ a few houses ago and it looked like new. So does your fireplace! Great job.!

Gail @ Black Copper DIY said...

Looks great! Black is soooooo much better than brass!

Miss Obara said...

Good thinking on this. It looks a ton better. Yes, I can't wait for spring...and spray painting!

g said...

I had no idea one could do this! We're soon moving into a house that has a fireplace insert with brass galore, and you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be using this exact same technique. Thank you so much for sharing! I absolutely love your blog. :)

g

Journey said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

Definitely looks better. I think the fireplace is smiling!

Janelle said...

If I could reach through the computer and give you a kiss, I would. I had no idea you could paint that stuff!

Our surround is black, but the doors are that hideous brass. My DH is building a beautiful new mantel, and it's been bugging me that the ugly doors would take away from it.

Can you share what brand of paint you used? I'd like to know exactly what to look for.

Janelle said...

Duh, never mind--I just saw the name of the paint in the picture, LOL. I was so focused on the before and after--!

Kelley said...

Another thing I have "de-brassified" was my ceiling fan. I couldn't swing a new one at the time but hated the shine. I used a cheap chip brush and dark walnut stain/sealer by Minwax. I just dabbed on about 3 layers and it looks rather bronzy. What were we thinking with the shiny brass?!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! One question, did you pre-treat them in any way with primer, etc.? How many coats did it take to get that coverage?

Thanks,
Charla

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Thanks everyone! I love it when simple/easy things can make a huge impact.

Kelley B - Great idea with the stain! I'll have to try that sometime.

For the Sake of Time - No, I didn't need to do any pretreating. I just made sure I started with a clean surface.

Robin Johnson said...

Wow didn't know you could do that! Looks great.

Pauline Wiles said...

Very nice! I definitely need to do this... when I can work my way that far down the list of projects which are lined up and waiting!

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

I did that on our fireplace awhile ago too. Isn't it the fastest up-date around - I love it.

cindy said...

I'm so doing this. Next trip to HD I'm getting some of this stuff....

Did you paint or glaze your brick? I'm contemplating doing something to mine. HATE IT.

Windlost said...

That looks amazing. I have a brass surround in my (ugly) family room that i am going to attack whenever I get the energy and funds to do that room. After seeing this, I think I should do it right now! Thanks for this awesome tip - you're a genius!

xo Terri

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

(sending to my mother now ...)

Thanks! I am a fan of all things that exorcise the brass. I don't care if it does become stylish and chic again ... I am sticking with black or brushed nickle.

Melanie said...

We have a new house so I have a black fireplace but I have had a brass one before and I would have loved to have had this product 18 years ago:) Good job.

Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good said...

This looks so great and makes such a great impact!

MrsSpock said...

I've been wondering what to do with our hideous brass fireplace surround. Thank you!

standsure said...

looks great AN! Such a simple fix makes a huge impact.

Delightful Dwelling said...

Love it, it looks sooo much better! I was lucky in that our fireplace surround was already black.

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

Great idea..I'll have to add it to my list of things to do!

Fifi Flowers said...

That makes a BIG difference! AMAZING what a little paint will do!

Millie said...

Goodbye brassy brass, hello beautiful black! Another great project AN, you are incredible.
Millie ^_^

Anonymous said...

What a transformation! I love easy projects that make a big difference.

I have been known to buy brass home decor items at the thrift store and then give them new life with a little paint!

SP said...

Most awesome!

I am Katy, said...

I painted my brass fireplace doors last year. What a huge difference it makes, and so easy to do. Yours looks great.

Laura Cooke said...

I do believe this post has changed my life. We're buying a house with a hideous brass insert - I can't WAIT to paint it! Thank you!

coleyttn said...

I want to paint the brass on my fireplace doors as well. Yours looks very nice! Did you sand it first or just paint right over the brass?

Wilcox said...

I love what you did and want to do this! So much better. One question - are there any other colors one could do instead of black? I'm just not a fan of black in my tiny living room. Thanks!

Unknown said...

AWESOME!! We just bought our first place, and the brass surround was giving me heartburn...Googled "Change brass fireplace doors" and BAM there this was! As soon as I close on this sucker I'm buying the paint and doing this! :) Thank you!

Cait Geddes said...

I've had this post on my Pinterest forever and yesterday I dragged the kids to Home Depot and picked up a can of paint. Wish me luck! I'll share my results later this week!
Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Cait Geddes said...

I DID IT!!! Check it out!

http://caitgeddes.blogspot.ca/2012/07/my-fireplace-was-bugging-me.html

Thanks again!

Unknown said...

Hey your Kaminkassette(fireplace insert) looks better. Thanks for the share.

Zomi said...

Hi. I just sprayed our brass fireplace door and what a difference. From someone who has had theirs for longer they say to be careful using spray on surfaces that can reach 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Have you had any issues with your fireplace since painting door like fire hazard or bubbling of paint. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Your fireplace looks cute. I like the horse. It is unique. Also, I like it that it looks simple.

Thanks,
indbygningspejs

 

blog design

Graphically Designing

our suburban cottage featured

Home & Garden Blogs
Lifestyle Blogs - Blog Rankings
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected