Carpe Diem

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

This morning I was about to heat up my bagel in the microwave on a paper towel (because I didn’t want to get a dish dirty), and I thought “No, you deserve to eat on a real plate”. As I was about to reach for our slightly beat up everyday dishes, a little picture of the plate I really wanted to use snuck into my head. I instantly thought “No, you can’t use those. You keep them in the china cabinet so they won’t get chipped.”

I then did a mental double take. “What?! What do you mean I can’t use those dishes. I love them and their mine. If I don’t use them now when will I use them?” I then strode into the dining room, pulled out the shiny red plate and threw my bagel (sesame with swiss cheese) on it with determination and a satisfaction. The moral of this story? We only live once. Why set silly rules and limitation on what we can and can’t do? What little opportunity for happiness are you not “carpe-ing” this diem?

IMG_2728


AnNicole

34 Suburbanites Said:

nina@themissadventuresofnina said...

ohhhh, the fancy towels that no one can use in case the Pope comes in for dinner :) And my Mom has 2 sets of fancy Sheets too. Funny how we do things for "just in case" instead of enjoying them.

Melanie said...

Thanks for reminding us. I worry about the pillows being straight, not getting the carpet dirty, all the while it is stressing me out. We should take your advice and live. (not that I want to dirty the carpet) LOL! Happy Tuesday.

{northern cottage} said...

Go Girl!! Living on the edge! You deserve a real plate, a fancy plate. Living & enjoying - that is what the things are for. What a great reminder!
oh & that bagel looks delish!!

rachel blazer said...

you're funny... i love that you used a fancy plate for your microwave bagel!
i used to not light my yummy vanilla candles unless we had friends coming over, which was silly. i love candlelight, i love the scent of warm vanilla in my home, and my family deserves that beauty just as much as company!
have a great tuesday,
rachel

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

What a beautiful post. I think I will eat breakfast on a fancy plate, too.

Thanks for the reminder...

Danielle

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Agreed!

Heather said...

Amen!! Saving the "good china" and "good candles" for big holidays is silly - everyday deserves something special!

Pat said...

Hi, I'm a new visitor, and I love your blog!
I so agree with todays post. I was raised to save everything for a special occasion, church clothes, shoes, dishes etc. Sometimes like you say...you just need to "carpe diem" and give thanks for your blessings!

Jen@FIRR-Kids! said...

Use the good plates! Otherwise you'll just die an old lady with a full set of china, which your kids will sell at their yard sale. I know - I snap up those great old things at yard sales!

Vanessa said...

Great post and reminder. I often don't step on the bath mat after getting out of the shower so as not to mat the mat. All the while I'm standing on the cold hard tile. Is that ridiculous or what! Where do we get these crazy notions.
Take care and have a great day!

LOve
Vanessa

Kari --- said...

I agree. That's why I'm also burning my candles, wearing my "good" jewelry and using my fancy towels :)

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

You guys are hilarious.

Jen - You're totally right about being the old lady with the perfect china! Very insightful.

Vanessa - That is possibly the most hilarious thing I've ever heard: being afraid to "mat the mat". You're right. Where do we get this stuff?!

Adelle said...

I'm right there with you! I just wrote about this two weeks go - I felt like I was always waiting for the next THING so that my life could begin. I'm not waiting anymore! Wear that dress, those shoes, that perfume (and eat on that china, too!)

Great post!

Cottage Dreamers said...

Funny how we think about our good stuff sometimes. I have some goblets like that!

Amber Filkins said...

You go girl!! I always pick my favorite plate. It's red too. :)

Tammy said...

And I bet that bagel tasted so much better didn't it?

tammy

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Great reminder to use and enjoy the "special" things in our life....shouldn't every day be a "special" day?!
Blessings,
Stacey

Michelle said...

Weird timing!! Over the weekend I put the stainless flatware in a box and put the silver in the drawer. I also put the "everyday" dishes away and put one of the FOUR SETS of china we have inherited in the cupboards. The cheap Target glasses are sitting in the buffet with the stainless flatware and the everyday dishes. In its place is my grandmother's crystal. She never used her nice things always saving them for a rainy day. And then she died. Someone should use these objects she cherished so much to not use them!

gina said...

I was like that with my girl's clothes when they were younger- there were clothes for holidays , etc. What?! All that money for what. Now my girls are jsut as likely to wear a tulle skirt to school and sweats on Christmas- whatever floats their boat. I say enjoy EVERYTHING NOW!! Great post!

Queen "B" said...

Aloha, I call that an "AH HAH" moment, you are too right! one of my mission statements is that life is meant to be tasted...so many go without or pass up moments that if it were their last, they should of "Carpe Diem"
awesome post
Aloha wishes
Brandi

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Amen!!! :)

Mom in High Heels said...

Excellent post! If I could put my "good" china in the microwave, I totally would. But it has a gold band on it and I'm afraid it would spark and catch on fire and then, well, I'd nothing to carpe diem with. I burn my candles nightly and drink the good wine, because, well, why not? And there are no fancy guest towels at my house. If you're a guest you can use the same towels we do. Now if only I could get my china in the microwave.
Pretty red plate, BTW.

Anonymous said...

As I have said to my "horrified" mother (when I told her I use my best plates for every day), "The beauty of my china will not follow me to heaven to serve up my bagel and Philly cream cheese....I am alive now and intend on enjoying everything I have been blessed with"!
Enjoy, my sweet friend of blogland.....you have been blessed with it and you deserve the best!
Sue

Abbey said...

Just catching up on blogs...LOVE the new look! Great job!

Also, love the red plate...

Kolein said...

Great post!!! We were on the same brain wave...just this morning I was feeling "oh so yuko". I started for my plate and in a moment decided on the fancy one! Interesting thing? My day went so much better from that point on!

Kudos to all of us who can stop and smell the roses in our good shoes and fancy dress. BTW, I get dressed up to run errands, go to the grocery store, etc. I do my hair, my makeup, right down to the shoes. My husband smiles at me as I walk out the door!! I'm a SAHM and refuse to be caught in the "housewife look" ever!!

Did I mention that I love your blog so much that I'm actually a tad sad when you haven't posted???

your friend,
Kolein - New York

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

I totally agree. I make it a point to use our "good" china on a regular basis. What is the point in having pretty things if we don't use them. I also think it makes dinner with the family more of an occasion if we use the good china (and candles).

Love your red plates, btw.

Kate Riley said...

I love it ! Seize the day, indeed ! I just recently replaced my old ordinary sugar bowl with my Lenox wedding china sugar bowl, trimmed in silver, and put my coffee maker on a siver tray. Tres elegant ! Cause I'm worth it !

Love your philosphophy. And your plate !

Kate

Kate Riley said...

I love it ! Seize the day, indeed ! I just recently replaced my old ordinary sugar bowl with my Lenox wedding china sugar bowl, trimmed in silver, and put my coffee maker on a siver tray. Tres elegant ! Cause I'm worth it !

Love your philosphophy. And your plate !

Kate

Gwen Driscoll said...

So glad to find your blog. I look forward to following you in the future.

Amy Kinser said...

Great idea. I will remember this when I think I should use the ugly white paper plate but really want to act like I'm eating at a fancy restaurant.

ImplausibleYarn said...

I agree completely! It falls into that category of fancy soap, expensive chocolate, and pricy alcohol. Someone needs to use the nice things and why not you!

HollyM said...

I used to worry about the dent the cat was putting in the top of my sofa cushions (new couch). It's almost permanent now - - a perfect 'kitty butt' shape *lol* Oh, well!

My husband and I have been using the dining room for dinner since hosting the Christmas family dinner in our new home. The kitchen table is fine for breakfast and lunch, but dinner is an event. Even if it's just Marie Callender's, we turn the lights low and set the table like it's fine dining.

We only have this one life, let's enjoy the small moments as well as the big ones.

amyks said...

I just hope that your plate was microwave safe :)

 

blog design

Graphically Designing

our suburban cottage featured

Home & Garden Blogs
Lifestyle Blogs - Blog Rankings
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected