Demystifying Polyvore – Part 2

Monday, May 10, 2010

I wrote a basic tutorial last week about using Polyvore to create design boards. I wanted to do a second post to show you one other really cool thing you can do in Polyvore – you can grab items from other websites.

First, remember in my last post how I told you to follow this tutorial to download the clipper tool? You need to do this before you can grab items from other sites. Okay? Okay (you’re so compliant..love you).

Okay, so let’s say you’re browsing the Anthropologie website like you do everyday occasionally, and you stumble upon this rug. Your heart goes pitter pat, you let out an audible “Ohhhh”, and you instantly want to use it in a design board.

Polyvore clipper 1

Since you already downloaded the clipper tool all you have to do is go over to your “Favorites”, and then “Links”, and then scroll down and click on “Clip to Polyvore”.

Polyvore clipper 2(Yes, I blacked out a couple sites I didn’t want you to know about. In my defense, they’re work related…and I like having a job. Also, I have no idea why I have so many Yahoo links! Sheesh!)

Once you’ve clicked on “Clip to Polyvore” a little box will appear in the upper right corner of your screen, telling you to click on the photo you want to save to your items in Polyvore. Once your mouse is over the photo that you want to import, a green box will appear around the picture. Once the green box appears around the picture just click on the picture.

Polyvore clipper 3

A new box should then appear in the upper right corner of your screen asking if you’re sure you want to save the photo to your items – just click “Save”. You also have the option of including tags. This helps others in Polyvore to be able to find your item to use in their design boards. So, it’s kind of a nice thing to do to add tags.

(Note: My computer was acting up and wouldn’t let me grab the Anthro rug like it should have. So in the interest of finishing the tutorial, we are now looking at a different rug…same principle. Okay – carry on).

Polyvore clipper 4

Once you’ve clicked “Save”, the item will appear in your saved items in Polyvore and you’ll be able to see them next time you visit.

One little caveat is that you can’t clip every photo to Polyvore. Only certain photos can be uploaded. For instance, I’ve tried to use photos from Ebay listings before, and no dice. Drats. Most “store” sites can clip to Polyvore though.

And that’s it. Happy creating!

6 Suburbanites Said:

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Great information! I have done a little with Polyvore. It is great to learn more about it. It is such a wonderful tool!

Have a super day!

XOOX
Jen

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

This is amazing, I didn't know you could use items not in Polyvore on the boards. Thanks! Janell

Nikki said...

I love that little polyvore clipper. Except when it won't let me clip from Flickr. What the flickr?!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Great tutorials, AnNicole! I love Polyvore too for doing my inspiration boards & it's worked out great most of the time. I hate it when I can't save something though.

That was my delete, spelled your name wrong the first time. :)

prashant said...

It is such a wonderful tool!
Contextual Ad Network India