Thrifty Decor Ideas - Shabby Nest Party!

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Wendy over at the Shabby Nest is having a Linky Party today featuring creative and thrifty decorating ideas. Thrify ideas and a party?! Oh, you know I couldn't miss that.


So here's my contribution. Large sheets of watercolor paper. Huh...You say? Stay with me people.


You know those fancy schmancy framing mats that cost at least an arm...if not a leg too? They look great, but thrifty they are not. Thick, textured watercolor paper on the other hand is very affordable at $2-$4 for a huge poster size sheet (at Hobby Lobby...even less if you have a 40% off coupon), and it can give the same look as fancy mats.


For example, here I just taped inexpensive postcards on top of the paper, and voila...we have custom art...more or less.



And on this one I cut a square and then taped some perdy fabric behind.

And these are my most recent creations. I printed some pictures I found here (on a regular black and white printer...because that's all I have), cut them to size and taped them onto watercolor paper. Then I went the extra mile by taping the whole shabang onto burlap. How much did this whole project cost?...around $6 for all three (excluding frames...which I did buy when they were 50% off at Hobby Lobby).



Just remember my friends, where there's a will there's a way.


Happy creating, and have a great weekend!

45 Suburbanites Said:

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

What a great idea! They look awesome!

Amber Filkins said...

GREAT ideas!! Love them all! I'm going to have to try those. Awesome!!

Lorie said...

Love it!

Denise said...

I've been looking for this idea and didn't even know it! I bought lots of frames on sale this weekend and wondered what expensive tool I'd need to buy to mat them. No longer wondering (and it's not expensive) - thank you!

Fresh Poppy Design said...

Wow love it! Fabulous idea, I just may have to use it!

Mrs. Petrie said...

I've done this with little picture frames, but this looks great with your expensive looking art! I love the burlap backed pics in you br. I think I have to do this in my br, too!

Wendy said...

Seriously fabulous idea!!! Thanks for playing along !!

Clean and Classic Interiors said...

Great pictures! Love the burlap looking matte! Now I just have to find a spare wall to hang some pictures!

Unknown said...

Wow, they look great! I am very impressed!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Great idea!

Pretty Organizer said...

Beautiful! I love how easy that is!

Stacia Howard said...

Beautiful! Fab idea! Thanks for sharing!

Kris said...

Very nice. I love the small photos/prints in the larger frames. I see these in all the boutiques and specialty shops for way more than $6 bucks. Very clever. They look fabulous hanging on your walls.

Have a happy day

Kris

Daryl at Vermont Cottage said...

This is a terrific idea!! You've really got me thinking now...

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Genious! Love the look of the watercolor paper. I love the way you took the print over the potty from very low to very high, so my style! Oh, and burlap makes everything cooler! I have a bag full waiting to be transformed...

~Misti

Kaye said...

Awesome idea! I love that! And I have lots of watercolor paper! I'm so glad you shared this creative idea! (And the burlap, those prints look very expensive!) Great Job!

The Masked Mommy said...

Cute idea! I used to paint, so I actually have tons of watercolor paper sitting around! Or perhaps I should paint with it again and hang my paintings on the wall! Lol! :-)

Jane said...

Great idea. 'Specially for odd sized thrift store or Ikea sized frames.

Unknown said...

Nice job! Love the prints that you did from the "Vintage Moth".... I'm definitely gonna' try that! Excellent mat ideas as well!

MaRiN said...

I love that fabric! I wish I could have found that when recovering my chairs. Great Job, love the prints!

Jade Creative said...

These pictures are wonderful. What a great idea.
Frames will now be my new flea market focus.
Thanks,
Have a great day!
Darlene

Tiffany said...

Love these ideas! That fabric is beautiful too! Thanks for sharing!

Mabel + Lola said...

Girl, you are just full of great ideas! Have a good weekend!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I have only a black and white printer, and never want to use it. I'm thinking I'll be getting it out again after seeing your pictures!

TNelson said...

Long time lurker first time poster here. You have the best ideas - I can't tell you how many of your posts I've saved for future reference. Keep up the good work!

Niki Jolene said...

Those are fab!

:)

Debra from Bungalow said...

Very nice! You made frugal look fabulous!

mimi charmante said...

These are fabulous my friend - great suggestion!
Have a lovely weekend,
xo

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. Each of the pictures is totally different, but they are all beautiful. Love it!!

Karla said...

You are amazing! They're perfect!! :) I want one!

Just wanted you to know how much I love reading your blog! You are an inspiration! So, I nominated you for an award:
http://itsthelittlethingsthatmakeahouseahome.blogspot.com/2009/04/thank-you-dawn.html

Thanks for all of the great ideas!!

Karla @ It's The Little Things...

Lana said...

I love framing stuff that has meaning to me! Thanks for the ideas!

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

Those look so sharp lined up like that. Beautiful work!
We're just at the point of being able to decorate our new home. It's in Germany, so I feel such a struggle. You've given me such hope. Thanks!
Katie

stephanie h said...

What a great idea!! Love it!

Crissie said...

Oooo they're gorgeous! I love the prints on the burlap, but I'm a sucker for the perdy green fabric too.

Great job!

xoxoxoxoxo

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Love the 3 picts in the bathroom, very, very chic!

Jen said...

Wow, who knew? Great trick!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Great idea! I have plenty of that paper, only I just use it to watercolor on. Who knew?

Megan said...

Love your custom artwork! the colors are so pretty, especially that fabric!

Bahama Shores Mama said...

Love, love, love the burplap. Gonna have to steal this idea. Thanks!

Laura said...

Great idea! Love your blog!

Unknown said...

Love that idea, especially the burlap! ;)
I've used textured wallpaper as mats, but haven't tried the watercolor paper, great idea!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

What a cool idea! Very pretty!

Donna

Life with the Lees said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Definitely going to have to try this! :)

Jeanne Oliver said...

I love, love, love the idea of putting the mat onto burlap!!! Gorgeous!

niartist said...

genious! I paid an arm, and a leg, and a foot from the other leg, and a couple of fingers from the standing hand when I had my picasso prints matted the way you did those post cards! Wish I would have waited til I saw this post!