Inspiration that Sticks with You

Monday, April 13, 2009

I hope everyone had a great weekend! We sure did. We drove to Kansas City to spend Easter with family...the way it's really meant to be celebrated.


*************************************************************

Do you ever have a decorating photo that just sticks with you? You just can't seem to get it out of your head? There are plenty of photos out there that I really like, and plenty I love...but every once in a while, I stumble on one that puts me in a decorating trance. I hope I'm not alone in this.
Here's the most recent photo that's been sticking in my creative little brain.


It's from The Home Book (which I finally returned to the library after renewing it as many times as they would let me), and I just love everything about it. I love the soothing color palette, the fluffy cushion and pillows that beckon you to curl up and stay a while (and knit a color coordinated scarf...if you know how). I love the mix of fabrics on the pillows, the sumptuous window treatments, and the charming white woodwork. I could design an entire room around this photo.


Here's another one that has inspired me. It's from Cottage Living (R.I.P...sniff), and I keep referring back to it even though I'm pretty sure I've memorized every detail at this point.

I love everything in this room, the comfy white chairs, the brown ticking stripe pillows, the cool brown fabric on the ottoman, the neat details on the mantel and coffee table. This could be my living room and, even I, wouldn't get tired of it.


Here are a few photos that inspired my kitchen makeover.


Photo: Cottage Living


Photo: HGTV Rate My Space - JBeachem


Photo: Unknown via Camilla at Home


Here's one more that I keep going back to over and over again. It's the fabulous Meg Duerksen's gorgeous master bathroom.



Umm, looking back at these photos I guess it's pretty easy to guess what color palette I'm most drawn to...lol. I guess that's the point of inspiration photos that really touch you, though.

If you haven't already done so, I'd highly recommend going through your favorite photos, placing them side by side and looking for similarities. It's very enlightening I tell ya. And when you find those photos that make you get all googly eyed and adrenalized hang on to them for dear life. :-)

22 Suburbanites Said:

Amber Filkins said...

Beautiful photos!! I especially love that kitchen with the HUGE cloche! And the dining room below it with the huge wall clock. Hmmmm....I notice a pattern with the things I like...

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Those are great photos! I love the top one. I would love to have a built-in banquette in my kitchen. That is a dream.

It sounds like you had a good Easter!

XOXO
Jen

julia said...

love all the photos. especially the top one, i think I'm going to have to race out to our library to get a copy of that book. thanks for the morning inspiration!

Ness Lockyer said...

Love your inspiration pics...and your palette.
Ness xx
Hope you had a lovely Easter.

Unknown said...

Great post - beautiful images, good advice, lovely colour palette. Love that first photo - might just have to save that to my file! Thanks.

Trish@TheOldPostRoad said...

I like the dark grout they used in the bathroom floor in the last picture.

Pretty pics!

beth said...

Such great inspiration photos! I love the first one with the window seat. And the color palette in all of the photos is so perfect. Pretty and soothing.

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Great photos. Love the kitchens especially. I love white cabinets but must have color on my walls that would energize me. As for the last bathroom shot...um, I do believe her sink vanity is my dining room buffet :0)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I like that color palette too. Very soothing. I am missing CL too...I just gave away a bunch of my older issues that were cluttering up my family room. Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake! ;) I love the "floofy" roman shades in that first picture. I'd love to have an area like that in my home. Very relaxing. :)

Marie said...

J'adore the very top photo...like you, mag photos are where I get inspirations in designing my own spaces.
-marie

Anonymous said...

I have a tattered and torn magazine page that I have held on to for about 15 years. It makes me happy still.

Now that I am older, I adore kitchen photos more and more. One day I'll have that kitchen of my (day)dreams!

Jeanne Oliver said...

These are beautiful. I am redoing our upstairs window seat...very similar to the first photo.

Unknown said...

Wow. Great pictures. I always have to laugh when I drool over pictures just like those, because my house doesn't look like that at all! I guess that means my taste is changing.

Karla said...

Great post! I couldn't agree more! I have an old Kitchen and Bath Ideas (BH&G) magazine from Jan. 2005 that I *love*. Chock full of awesome ideas! And I AM holding onto it for dear life! :) Someday I'll be able to recreate my perfect kitchen from the dreamy photos inside that magazine!

The photos you posted are gorgeous! I especially love the first Cottage Living photo! :)

~Karla @ It's The Little Things...

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Those are gorgeous. I have plans to build a window seat this winter, in our office. I love your inspiration and have it now saved in my files. Thanks

janet said...

Beautifyl pictures, and i was just talking about window seats on my blog and the one you posted would most certainly be my dream window seat, im in complete awe!
hugs
janet

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

OH- that last one had me at the beadboard! I am in L-O-V-E. These are very inspiring photos. Dreamy, in fact. I am still stuck on the horizontal beadboard with the distressed vanity. Nice, very nice!
~Misti

GUAMtastic said...

I heart your blog. And your pottery barn commentary from a few posts ago. I'm head over heels for the new Williams Sonoma catalogue (ok, it's a few months old now, but we are a little behind here in Guam) AND WS doesn't ship to Guam (the bastards), but I hear you on the decorating trance...

Hope you had a blast in Kansas City!! My whole family lives there, so I am very jealous!

paige said...

i love your blog....just found ya today.
i'll come back by & read some more
best wishes
xo

Dawn said...

I love that first photo. What a cozy little spot!

Hugs from Eventually Cottage!

Becki said...

the rate your space photo could be my own kitchen! That is so funny :o) The exception of course is (and isn't there always an exception) that my island is not on an angle and my lights are yellow - but same lights! Thanks for sharing your favourites! Becki

GeenyBeeny said...

Just found your blog - love it! I had to comment on this post even tho it was months ago. I still get teary-eyed when I think of the demise of Cottage Living. It was my favorite magazine ever. :-(