Laundry Closet Solution

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Well one thing's for sure, y'all like to daydream about Pottery Barn as much as I do! A few people mentioned that they'd love to have a Pottery Barn house, except for the fact that it's impossible with young kids. Hello?! That's what Pottery Barn Kids is for!


All you need is a little pink kitchen set for your daughter...



...And a craft cubby wall system for your son.



Problem solved, eh? Oh, and if you're a really good mom, you dress your children to match the room. I think you get extra points for that.


Okay....enough...I'll stop now and get to today's REAL blog post.



Remember when I bought these curtains a couple weeks ago at Ikea? I had a few different ideas of where I was going to hang them, but when I came home from work the other day and found out that one of the doors on the laundry closet had "broken" (allegedly...I wasn't there to witness the whole situation). So, I knew exactly where the curtains needed to go...not that the whole one-door thing isn't classy.
I pulled out an extra shower curtain rod I had in the garage (don't ask me why I had an extra shower curtain rod..I honestly can't remember) and voila! My laundry closet went from ghetto to lovely.
I also hung a few cute little mirrors I had around (are you getting the impression I have extra stuff tucked into every corner of the house...I promise I'm not that bad).
I actually love the curtains so much I may send my mom to her local Ikea to buy another set for me...you know, so I have options in the future. I always hate it when a pattern I love sells out and I can't ever find it again. It's the Alvine Smal pattern in black and white in case you're interested.

29 Suburbanites Said:

Kim said...

Great idea Annicole! I just knew you'd come up with something innovative for those adorable curtains. Love the mirrors too!

Myrna said...

I am about to take out a door in my cottage. I am replacing it with a curtain and rod. It's a great idea if you are looking to get back a few feet of usable space! I looked at the panels at IKEA and they are so cute - but decided to go ahead and make my own.

Unknown said...

Love the curtains, great solution.
And...what's wrong with having stuff stashed all over the house, huh? :)

beth said...

I love the curtains! It looks so pretty! We have been talking about doing that with our son's closet because he keeps knocking the doors off the track. I think it would work out much better, and of course is so cute. I think we'll make them out of blue denim.
Yeah, that's what Pottery Barn kids is for! :)And Pottery Barn has plenty of items that are suitable for families with young children. We have five children, and the items we have from PB have held up very well. Just because we have kids, are we only supposed to buy things from Walmart?

Melissa said...

AnNicole~I love these curtains! So crisp, clean, and fresh looking! They look perfect for your laundry space. Love it~

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Luv your new pic! So pretty! Love those drapes too. Is there an Ikea in between us? We could both fly halfway and spend the day there. You could show me around since I've NEVER been to one. Pout. :)

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I do adore Pottery Barn. I took my computer test today to qualify for a job with them. I don't think I aced it, but I will know in a few days. Keep your fingers crossed.

Pemberley Court said...

Oh my gosh you are a crack up! I love love love your blog! Found ya at the cottage nest! Thanks for the humor!

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Fab! I've actually been thinking about doing something similar with my boys' closet doors. They're old 1954 sliders and I don't know how much more they can take. Um, I also tuck extra shower curtain rods away. Don't know why I have them, lol!
I"m also working in my laundry room. Getting it refreshed and cheery. Believe me, I spend many many hours in there...in there everyday...

Mom in High Heels said...

Pottery Barn and IKEA. My favorie things in one post. Loving you!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Wow! Looks like the door breaking was meant to be! :) Great idea for repurposing! I love PBK, but can't afford that look right now. My older daughter would die of happiness if she had that pink kitchen! :)

Today is my 100th post giveaway! I hope you might have a chance to come see. :)

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

I have a similar set up, but need to put some pretty accessories around it, too. Great idea! Another idea is to frame out the opening with a more decorating moulding!

Rebekah said...

I'm a little silly over those pink play kitchens from PBK. Not so silly that I'd actually pay what they want for them, but still...

I've actually been considering "breaking" my own bi-fold laundry doors and replacing them with a curtain. My only worry is that my laundry closet is in the guest bathroom and on the same wall as the shower and I don't know if it would be curtain overload.

christy said...

They look great!

You are not alone with the random stuff either. I tend to keep useful things, you never know when you may need them again. I get teased for it, but I can't tell you how manys times Dh said throw this/that out & months down the road I had it when he needed it. Thank goodness I have a shed & an attic!

Amber B. said...

Love, love those curtains in your laundry area. And I want to live in the PB catalog, too. ;-)

Jen said...

Cute! Whoever broke the door did you a favor (but you don't have to tell them that!). The curtains are much cuter than plain old boring doors.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Those curtains are so cute there! I love Ikea - I think I've been twice this week. They have the greatest design solutions! I love their storage ideas.

XOXO
Jen

Victoria Hayden said...

It looks great! A perfect solution to the door dilemma! Very classic and crisp the curtains look with the stripes and I love the mirrors next to it! You never know when you might be doing laundry and the door bell rings...a great place to check how you look. lol. Love it!

Hugs to you,
~Victoria~

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment for the Giveaway! ;) It's always nice to know that there are other moms who may have had to do a couple "serenity now" chants to get through those long afternoons. ;)

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

cute idea! I am currently low on shower curtain rods but I have about 83 double curtain rods. Yet when I need one I find myself running up to the store get one. then kicking myself when I knock over the bin of 83 curtain rods! Yeesh!

Lorie said...

It looks great. And my sister in law has the all pottery barn house. And her daughters playroom has those things! I pine away for her house on a daily basis! She actually worked for PB part time so that she could get the discount when she moved into her new house!

Xazmin said...

I love it. It really looks fantastic. I have a cute pink wooden kitchen for my girls....paid WAY less than pottery barn at Costco!

Xazmin

Jeana said...

I had to do the same thing with curtains because my front loading machines stuck out too much. Love me some Ikea this weekend. Ours opened a year ago or so and I can hardly stay away.

SoBella Creations said...

I love the curtain for your laundry. Great idea!

We bought our pink kitchen at Costco also.

I do love PBK. I just ordered my youngest daughter the Stella quilt for when ever she gets a big girl bed. I was afraid they would sell out now that it has been reduced.

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Great idea! Drapes just fix everything. Hmmm...I could add that to my post from last night!

Your blog is always fun to hang out in! Hope you have a great Easter too.

~Misti

mimi charmante said...

This is completely fabulous! Maybe that door broke for a reason...
:)
Have a wonderful Easter,
xo

cupcakes for breakfast said...

I really like those curtains do you happen to know the name of them? The look so great in your home! Thanks for a great Blog I love reading it :)

Precision Quality Laser said...

LOL...I love your comment about "getting extra points if the kids clothing matches the room"...HAHAHA!

You are so creative...I am new to your blog and I am having a blast looking at real beautiful decorating on a REAL budget!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

Laundry is one of the messiest places in every home and therefore, we must really find some ways in order for us to hide those clutters or just make it more beautiful and well-organized. In our laundry, my wife and I arranged it well by putting up curtains also and brass rods tables so that everything will be more organized and yet the room will look unique and stylish.