Being a Gemini is Exhausting

Monday, April 20, 2009

Are there any other Geminis out there? Do any of you fellow Geminis feel like it's almost impossible to decorate a room and be happy with it for any length of time because your "twin" will want a different look in a few months?

Why do I ask, you say? Oh, I don't know. It could be the fact that I've worked on my master bathroom for nearly 3 months now and I can't quite finish it because the twins keep bickering with one another.

Twin A: I want a light and airy bathroom.

Twin B: Oh, please. Give me some contrast. You liked the contrast
in the kitchen, right?

Twin A: Yeah, but this is the bathroom. Can't we have
a beachy look?

Twin B: Beach-Shmeach, I want a luxurious European flair.
It's exhausting I tell ya. So since I haven't been able to get my act together enough yet to give you the full reveal, I thought I'd show you what I have been able to get the twins to agree on...and accomplish.

First here's a before photo of my bathroom to refresh your memories.


Perdy right (...heavy sarcasm)? I especially love the burgundy laminate countertop (even heavier sarcasm). And I should note that this photo is with the PREVIOUS OWNER'S stuff. Am I ashamed to claim the burgundy candles and flimsy green towels as my own?...yes, yes I am. Boy I hope they never read this blog.


Well I took care of that countertop straight away by painting it to look a wee bit like travertine. Not bad, eh? Don't worry, I will do a tutorial in the very near future....oh, and I will be replacing the faucets.



I also removed the giant wall mirror and replaced it with two cute little oval mirrors from Lowes. I'll probably hang my faux vintage grain sack between the two (um, ignore the fact that it needs to be ironed...I didn't notice that until now).



I originally wanted the fancy tilting kind, but I was able to get two of these for just a little more than the cost of one of the tilting mirrors. I couldn't argue with those numbers.

I knew I needed to come up with some kind of storage solution for the weird empty space in the corner, so I bought a bookcase that was just the right size, painted it cream and adorned it with a little skirt to hide its legs.


Not bad for $48, a little fabric and a few upholstery tacks.

And...that's pretty much it for now. I'd show you more, but the twins are still bickering so I'll have to get back to you after I've been able to mediate and reach a mutually satisfactory solution.

31 Suburbanites Said:

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

You're so funny. I have a daughter who is a gemini and we always tease her about her alter ego. I only wish it was a bathroom that she was indecisive about! Instead it always seems like there are two men in her life to choose from, but she gets stuck because her "evil twin"(just kidding) won't let her decide.

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Ooooh I love it! I think my favorite part is that little shelf though, with the precious skirt!!! LOVE IT!! You've done a beautiful job in here, like always!

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

This totally made me laugh. Nice work...can't wait to see the final finished product!!!

Megan {The Brick Bungalow} said...

My mom's a gemini and this fits her perfectly! It also fits me a little, but I'm not a gemini. Maybe it's because I grew up with one...

beth said...

I'm a Capricorn, but I have the same problem. The "twins" are always bickering. Hehe. Your bathroom is looking great. I love it! :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

WOW! I love it!!!!! The little skirt on the bookshelf is adorable. You did a fabulous job on those counters. Are you SURE you didn't want to keep the burgundy?? (that was my heavy sarcasm) ;) Job well done!!

Unknown said...

My son is a Gemini - I think that explains his angel/terrorist personality. Love what you have done with the bathroom so far - especially that cute little skirt on the bookshelf. And the laminate looks a million times better now that the burgandy has been banished. Can't wait to see which twin wins!

Amber Filkins said...

I don't pay too much attention to birth signs, but I am a Gemini and that sounds JUST like me!! I mean, really. I've been putting off MY bedroom makeover reveal b/c I don't have the last detail finished. lol.

Okay, I LOVE what you did in the bathroom. We're updating our other house, and I'm about to replace the vanity, put in a large oval mirror, and a new vanity light. :)

Love the bookcase, especially the cute little skirt! SO clever. And you're right, that is an awkward space there!! But you made good use of it.

Love everything.

Have a great night!

Katie said...

I have the same problem. In fact, my twins argue according to season. I just can't resist all white ktichens with little splashes of color in the spring time. But around Fall and winter, I crave me some heavy bold colors and beautiful black distressed cabinets.

I'm currently stumped as to what to do with my home decor at the moment. Blah.

Do share your technique for the vanity top. What a great look!

Rebekah said...

I'm not a Gemini but I suffer from the same split decorating personality. There are always at least two different directions I want to go with any decor project. I think of it as the Plague of Overinspiration.

Love that bookcase and her flirty skirt, by the way.

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

I'm not a Gemini but both my parents were and my hubbs is.Oy!, lol! I think the bathroom is looking mighty fine and even though your twins may be squabbling, they are somehow getting it put together very nicely.
Well done!

SoBella Creations said...

I can't wait to see a tutorial on the countertop painting. My daughters bathroom is a not so pretty shade of green. I might have to live with the green tub until it can be painted. But, would love to work on the countertop.

Natalie Meester said...

I love the little skirt! Did you sew that or staple gun it? What are your knobs on the vanity?

I LOVE your bathroom.

Thanks for all your fab ideas!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Touch of Country - I actually just cut some fabric, folded the top edge over and then used upholstery tacks to attach it to the bookshelf. I folded little pleats and nailed the tacks right on top of the pleat. I suppose I should do a pictorial...that would probably help.

The knobs on the vanity are crystal knobs that I found on ebay for a steal.

Thanks for your nice comments!

Becca said...

I’m not a Gemini I’m a Libra and since I’ve never had the desire to look up my traits I thought maybe I should. ;~)
Diplomatic and urbane
Romantic and charming
Easygoing and sociable
Idealistic and peaceable

Indecisive and changeable
Gullible and easily influenced
Flirtatious and self-indulgent

Who new all this time I thought I had a “condition”
I can now explain to my husband that I don’t have a "condition".
Becca ;~)

Alicia said...

You painted the countertop?!! I didn't even know that was possible! What an amazing transformation. I can't wait for the tutorial.

HeddyShea said...

This cracked me up! I am a Gemini- June 17! I can so relate to what you are saying. But, I have been in my house for almost 5 years and the master bedroom is still not complete, so I think I have you beat!
XO
SimplyHeddyShea

Shannan Martin said...

I am a Gemini and am currently in the process of painting all of my previously-painted white furniture black. :)

Pink Daisys Blog Spot said...

I just found your blog and I LOVE it.. It is like having all my favorite magazines in one place with someone who thinks like I do.. I added you to my blog roll and will be checking back often.. Your house is just beautiful! thanks for sharing.
Mechelle

Jen@FIRR-Kids! said...

I, too, am very interested in the painted counter top tutorial. And an update on how the paint is holding up. Great blog, I'm hooked.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I'm a Taurus, not a Gemini, but I've got those same twins living in my head and pulling me different decorating directions all the time! Had to laugh because I've got pretty much the same conversation going on in my head about MY bathroom. I remember Christopher Lowell saying on his show years ago, "Just pick your theme and colors and go with it. Don't second-guess. Don't over-think." I always try to remember that...but I still second-guess and over-think anyway. :-)

I don't think I've ever seen painted laminate before. It looks great! And the mirrors and bookcase make a big difference, too. Can't wait to see what you end up doing with the rest of the room!

Mabel + Lola said...

Annie, the counter top looks amazing! That totally changed the look of the room! Good job! What are your plans for your master?

Desiree said...

Looks great! Please tell me how you took the big mirror off the wall. We want to do that too but feel like it will be impossible. Thanks!
-Desiree

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

I am on pins and needles waiting to see what's next! LOVE the countertops and the shelf...what a fabulous idea! The skirt is perfect, my eyes went straight to the skirt, brilliant.

If you can squeeze in a post on your childhood bedroom, I would love to have you on my link party tomorrow!

~Misti

standsure said...

Hey AN, We have more in common than our love of ticking stripes. I too am a gemini and suffer from several different decorating personalities. Right now I am in my "color phase".

kd said...

Found your blog thru HOH - so happy to know you! I love what you've done with the kitchen & bath. My biggest question is about the mirror(s). I have the same giant mirror in my master bath and I'm a little terrified of removing it... How hard was that? Did it shatter all over the place? Do you need special tools? Please let me know!

Lisa said...

This post makes me so happy and so relieved. I have painted the same shelf 4 times in the past year. Green with folk art, black, added back the folk art to the green and now solid black with distressing. It's exhausting! One minute I love wild crazy colors and the next I'm "what were you thinking?" and wanting things all black and creamy. I'm not a Gemini, though. I'm glad my husband is very patient.

Lisa said...

*added the folk art back to the black, I mean.

Unknown said...

Greetings from one Gemini to another, June 3rd.
Love your blog and yes I have the same problem.
Although I seems to have a bigger problem with distration, sometimes I feel I must have 50 projects going on at once. Stop by and visit sometime.
Sandy

Bri said...

Heaven help the world...I too am a Gemini lol! Yep every few months I change a room ~ even if it's the same room over and over! Love your cottage and the articles :)

Twickenham Corporate Hospitality said...

Nice blog good information in this blog than u for sharing about information
The Oval Hospitality