Garage Sale Pile to Treasure

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Here's the other little project I did over the weekend that I promised I'd share with you.

I pulled this old chair out of my "sell-whenever-you-get-around-to-having-a-garage-sale" pile and decided to improve upon it a bit. And yes, I really was going to sell this unique little chair, but in my defense it had bad memories so I didn't want it around. Instead I decided to turn lemons into lemonade and make it something wonderful that I can love.

I distressed it a little with some sandpaper and then painted the year "1924" on the back rest (which happens to be the year my sweet Grandma was born...I like things around the house to have meaning to them).

I was crazy enough to draw the numbers freehand (with pencil) first, and then use a tiny brush and black craft paint to paint by hand. It seemed to work out ok.

And then....wait for it....wait for it....shazam! I decided to go the extra mile by painting a garland on the back...even though the chair is up against the wall most of the time and nobody will ever see it. At least I know it's there.


Overall, I'm loving the "new" chair. It adds a little more character to the living room...and cost next to nothing!

33 Suburbanites Said:

Unknown said...

I've been wanting to do something like this to my dining room chairs--thanks for the inspiration!!
:D
Chandra

Amber Filkins said...

It looks AWESOME, AnNicole!! Love it!

Good job on the free hand too!!

Have another one laying around in your pile for me?? :)

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

I'm doing a chair this weekend, too! LOVE your paintings!!!

Martha said...

Absolutely beautiful!! I love it.. awesome job on the free hand! :)
Martha

the undomesticated wife said...

Cute! I'm impressed with your steady painting job! Looks so good, as if you'd used a stencil.

Daryl at Vermont Cottage said...

I love the numbers on the chair, and the special significance. Excellent job with hand-lettering too. It looks great!

Daryl

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

That is great that you made a number that means something special to you.

Tara said...

Well done! Great idea using 1924. I'll have to figure out away to do something like that in my house.

lisa said...

I don't know what cuter...the chair or your use of the word "shazam" :)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

That chair is darling! I can't wait to start yard saling. I think I might first have to have one here so I can have room for some new stuff.

I love your numbers. I was going to ask you if it was a stencil. Amazing!

XOOX
Jen

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

I'm inspired! What a sweet redo. And I'm mega impressed that you painted it free hand. Mine would look more like a three year old painted it. Great job!

hixsongirl said...

What a good idea! I'm so impressed Cole! I'm glad you could turn that bad memory into a good one. Sometimes that's really hard to do...I know.
Very cute! :)

Unknown said...

You hand drew those numbers? Amazing. I love how the chair turned out. Here's to good memories!

Dawn said...

I love it! What a sweet little chair!

Erika said...

SO sweet! I love the chair and the meaning is priceless!! Super job!!!

Victoria Hayden said...

Adorable! I think it turned out great! I am getting ready to do some handpainted letters and numbers on some chairs...the things we do to add those little details. :)

Hugs,
~Victoria~

Aura said...

I love it! I just attempted to recently hand paint letters, too. It was just...okay ;)

pat said...

Your chair looks just terrific. What an outstanding job you did, you are so creative! Always enjoy the posts on your blog.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Love. it. :)

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Like everyone else, I'm impressed you did the letters freehand. If I did it, it would look like chicken scratchings in the dirt. And I LOVE the idea of using a date that is significant to you. I'm going to use this idea, somehow, someday.

paige said...

perfection!

Unknown said...

LOVE the chair and it's so special that you put a special date that means something to you on it! The garland great too....GOOD JOB!

ellie mae said...

I love love love how you put the year your sweet grandmother was born. I think that is just so special and how you turned something that you really werent too crazy about to something wonderful! Great job!

Sa-Sea said...

I AM IN LOVE WITH THAT CHAIR!!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!! CHECK OUT MY QUEEN BEE PILLOWS, THEY WOULD MATCH THAT CHAIR WITH WREATH WONDERFULLY!!!!! WWW.SASEABOUTIQUE.ETSY.COM
GREAT IDEA!!!

Katy said...

Really nice looking!
Like how you put the date on it.

MaRiN said...

Awesome job- especially freehanding the numbers, they really look great!

janet said...

im glad you were able to make it a happy chair, it looks fabulous, and is that a window seat i see....lucky you! lol
hugs
janet

Susan/Standsure said...

The Lemonade is looking mighty tasty AN! Congrats on taking a forlorn piece and putting your personal stamp on it.

American Homemaker said...

I love it! It turned out so great! I'm impressed with your freehanding skills.

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

It looks lovely, but I'm cracking up at your "wait for it... wait for it...".

My kids and I say that all the time!

Anonymous said...

Wow . . . you are so talented. When I read that you free-handed the numbers I was so impressed. What at talent we have in our family! I started thinking about all the buried furniture in my basement and the fun you could have with it.
{Shelley

Anonymous said...

AnNicole, this chair looks SOOOO cute! Your numbers look fantastic!

Unknown said...

Shazam is right! I'm all about the lemonade deal myself- well done!