No More Sad Doors!

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Hey there - I apologize for being M.I.A. this week. No, the carbon monoxide didn't get me, just millions of work things (Oh that pesky day job) and life things (What do you mean my car needs a new catalytic converter?!). This is where I once again vow to myself to write all of my blog posts the weekend before, so I'm not stuck being postless... and inspirationless...and hopefully not readerless. Anyhoo...enough hand slapping.

Let's talk front doors shall we? I always feel so bad for those little (or big) houses with sad, plain doors. Sometimes I just want to sneak out in the middle of the night and give them a fresh coat of paint and a nice fluffy wreath. You know...like a decorating bandit...with a black mask and a paintbrush in hand :).

For instance look at this sad little house. See the tear? She used to feel so cute and sassy, but now she feels a little frumpy and out of style. Poor thing...


No problem sweetie, the decorating bandit is here. Let's just freshen up your door and shutters with some black paint, remove that outdated awning, and throw in some fun accessories.

See? She's new girl...and all we did was add a little paint and a few accessories. (For info on how to paint a front door click here).

I know a lot of us put off projects like sprucing up a front door because it just feels like too much work and too much money. Just do what you can handle doing...whether that's paint or simply adding a new wreath. Even a little change will make a difference.

And speaking of wreaths, if you're in the market for a new wreath, here are some out there in internet-land that have caught my eye. Enjoy!

Etsy - toinspireyou


Etsy - toinspireyou



Target - Fall Faux Berry Wreath

Target - Town Market Wreath


Target - Lavender Fields Square Wreath (I would lose the ribbon)


Have a great weekend!

22 Suburbanites Said:

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

I believe I'll be making a moss-covered initial this weekend. Thanks for posting the inspiration!!!!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

A"door"able! Hehehe...I do love the inspiration. I want to paint our front door, but it makes the hubs all twitchy...maybe I'll wait til he goes out of town. ;)

Precision Quality Laser said...

The Decorating Bandit can come slap some paint and a wreath on my door any day! :)

Love the wreath inspiration!

Noodle said...

I'd like to see more posts where you redo doors, even digitally! It was helpful, and I need help!

victoria said...

How would you like to sneak over to my house and redo my doors? My doors are so stuck in the 60's, its embarrassing!

Moore Minutes said...

Fun post! I JUST posted about wreaths on my blog yesterday. :) BUT now I want the top wreath from etsy that you posted, lol.

Lynette said...

Wondered what had happened to you - that poor unloved first door - I bet it wishes you really did live there - even in pretend world it looked better!

Don't you just love ETSY? There are some talented folks out there - I could get lost for hours looking through the gorg things there! Love the wreaths - love fall!!

Esther said...

My door is in desperate need of a makeover. I don't think it's been painted since the 60's, and has been peeling since then. No, wait...that's my whole house.

Unknown said...

Qué lindas las coronas, definitavamente le dan otro aire a la puerta. Me gustó mucho.

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

My poor sad door needs a facelift. Thanks for reminding me and showing me how much better she could be. She definatly needs a wreath!

Unknown said...

Paint does wonders for a door, I agree. I always hang Christmas wreaths, but since we got the new window on our front door a few years ago, I have struggled with putting a wreath on at other times of the year. If you or your readers get a chance, maybe you could stop by and check out my 'front porch' post to see the door lite and see if a wreath would be too much. I'm regretting the brass caming in the door lite now however. Thanks

Leen said...

Love the wreaths! I finally got around to painting my front door (a beautiful raisin color) but have yet to add my house number or a wreath.
Maybe this weekend while we are putting up our autumn decorations :)

Victoria said...

I am loving the initial made out of moss.

Sarah said...

Love the Etsy links! The 'wreath' issue has been on my mind the past week, and although I saw the orange one at Target (some of the berries had been chipped to reveal some white styrofoam) it didn't do for me. I hadn't thought of Etsy. DUH! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Laurie said...

Oh you have hit me where it hurts. ha, No really I have been contemplating on what I can do to our door. We just purchased a house and our door is so boring. It is white. I want to paint it red, but it seems like there are a couple houses in the neighborhood that are already red. Also I am stuck on the color because during the summer it is opened and I want it too look good with both the interior and exterior of the house. Anyways- I am still pondering the state of my door- I know the right color will come at the right time (when I am actually able to paint)

Its So Very Cheri said...

Be sure to come by tonight around 9pm (Eastern time) for the announcement so you don't miss out. I promise-it good-really really good.
Cheri
Its So Very Cheri

KnockKnocking said...

Thanks for the mention!! You have a darling blog! xoxoxo Agnes

Tracie Yule said...

Painting the front door was one of the first project I did when we moved into our new house. Of course, I painted it black! I loved it and it was soooo easy! I love the first green wreath, it would look wonderful on my door :)

samantha said...

Great redos! My door so needs a makeover!

tracy said...

I painted my door in summer of '08. But now it has a really big autumn wreath, thanks to you. And yes, it does look happier. I potted some gold mums to keep it company. :)

KellyMellyBoBellyBananaFanna said...

I like the wreaths! Especially inspirational with the holidays around the corner. I recently redid our entryway (you can see it here: http://tearinguphouses.blogspot.com/2009/09/before-and-progress-little-blue-house.html).

No wreath -- yet. :)

Kelly

Niki Jolene said...

I am feeling that moss-covered initial! Love it!

:)

Great blog ya have here!