Do You Have One?

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Alright, I'm on my public service message soap box today - please bear with me. After cooking a delicious sunday morning breakfast and getting ready to be uber lazy and watch The Notebook (for the upteenth time) I was jolted off the couch by the beeping of our carbon monoxide detector. We quickly opened windows, turned off the pilot light on the furnace (which is likely leaking carbon monoxide), and the detector stopped beeping.

The worst part? I wouldn't have a carbon monoxide detector if the previous owners hadn't installed one. It's just not something I've ever given much thought to.

Long story short? Carbon monoxide poisoning can be as much of a danger to you and your family as fire. It's odorless and undetectable to humans, only offering vague symptons like headache, nausea, and fatigue. If you don't have a carbon monoxide detector you can purchase one inexpensively. Here are a couple affordable examples:


$25.79 at Target

$19.97 at Walmart

If you do have a carbon monoxide detector (woo hoo for you) make sure you test and replace your batteries regularly.

Okay...public service message delivered :). Have a great Monday!

10 Suburbanites Said:

sarah @ realestatestyle said...

i need to get one

vintage girl at heart said...

I am going to Target tomorrow morning!! This is something I think about from time to time and you gave me just the nudge I needed!!!
Thanks!

Nancy said...

That's great you gave the public service announcement! We had trouble last winter with our furnace. There was a problem with it and had it looked at on a Friday. On Saturday, our Carbon monoxide detecter went off and had the furnace checked again. Had a very low dose of it, but still! I was out of town during that time, but dh slept in his office two nights and our name was put to the top of the list for getting a new furnace on Monday morning!

Nancy

Lynette said...

Glad y'all are OK - luckily we have one of each - fire alarms are in several different places in the house and the carbon alarm in the family room. I need to put that on my list for when we move. Although I think all new homes come with the fire alarm, but not a carbon one.

Thanks for doing us all a favor today.

Oh, BTW - love your bedroom - it looks great!

Have a good week yourself -

Theresa said...

A family of four died last winter here in Ontario. They had been complaining of symptoms for a few weeks before because it was gradually getting worse in the house. One weekend three of them did not wake up, the mom (a provincial police officer) was taken off life support a week later and died the same day. It is a very sad thing, something that can be prevented with a very inexpensive investment. Glad you are all okay.

Ann's blog said...

I just thought I would mention that if you love The Notebook, you might also like Nights in Rodanthe with Richard Gere and Diane Lane. I watched it on the weekend also for the upteenth time. It is based on the novel from the author of Notebook! Greetings from Ann ~ Australia

Linda said...

Yes, every home does need one....thanks for the post!
Blessings,
Linda

Andrea C. said...

Thanks for the great reminder!
It reminded me that ours died over the summer, and we no longer have one plugged in!
I'm off to get one today.

gina said...

It's the law in Massachusetts that every home must have one outside of every bedroom. Since we also have a bedroom downstairs- this covers our whole home- SUCH EASY TRAGEDY PREVENTION!!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Amen! I have 2 detectors in my house. Thanks for getting this message out.