Experiment: Can I Spray Paint My Shower Door Surround?

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I can't tell you how many emails and comments I get asking this question....and I haven't responded yet (I feel really guilty about that btw...I'm so sorry), because I simply don't know the answer. Can you do it? Of course! Will it hold up?....I honestly don't know.



So, here's what I will do for you (because I love all of you BFF, suburbanite, squeezies so much), I am going to spray paint my metal shampoo holder thingy that hangs in my shower just to see how well it holds up. I will then report back to you with the results (like the good scientist I am...even though I'm not really a scientist...I just play one in bloggerland).



Why am I painting my hangy thingy instead of my surround?: A) You smarty party pants guessed it....I'm too cheap to take replace it if it ends up being a horrible mistake; and B) If it works on the metal hangy thingy it will work on the surround, right?

The (highly technical, superly scientifical) Methodology?

Step 1: Prime



Step 2: Paint (2 coats)

Step 3: Spray a Clear Coat of Polyurethane


Step 4: Keep Fingers Crossed :)

Stay tuned for the results!

27 Suburbanites Said:

Donna said...

I'll be interested to see how it turns out. It sounds like you have a good plan though. :)

D

Anna said...

I am interested too - I have the 90s shiny brass shower surround

laura n said...

I've painted the metal soap dish/wash cloth holder inside my shower, where there was very hard water, and after 2 years it held up. I used one coat of cheapy spray paint, no primer, and no finishing coat. It did discoler just a tad, which I actually welcomed, because the bright and shiney silver was a little too spray-painty for me. It darkened a bit giving it a more worn metal, but still very nice look.

southerninspiration said...

Ooooh, shiny brass shower trim here, too.......looking forward to the results.

suzanne

Andrea @ Big Creek Cottage said...

Hmmmm. Can't wait to find out. That might be another project to add to my list. Fingers are crossed {and toes too} for you.

Anne said...

Thank you for putting yourself out there in the name of decorative science. ;)

BLJ Graves Studio said...

I was just looking at my shower yesterday wondering this same thing. I can't wait to hear about your results. :-)

the undomesticated wife said...

I've seen them spray paint the surround on HGTV. Don't know how it held up, but it looked so much better. ;)

Blondie said...

I'll be waiting for the results with my sore spray paint fingers crossed and ready to go!

CRICKET said...

Wow, I would never have thought about doing this! Can;t wait to see either.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Ooh, very interesting! Can't wait to see what happens. :)

Anonymous said...

We actually did this on our last house. We removed the entire shower door and trim and then my husband painted the trim. I really don't know what he used, but it was some type of brushed silver spray paint. It held up well and looked really nice for about 4 years and then it started to flake off. When we were getting our house ready to sell, it was time to replace the frame and door. So if you are looking to do something inexpensive that will last for a few years, painting over the frame is a great solution. -Marcy

Room to Inspire said...

I can't wait to see how it turns out...it looks like a very sound plan :)

Chelsea

Frugal Jen said...

I was thinking that the other day as I looking at the ugly brass.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I think I said I was going to paint my shower caddy on your last post about where to find ORB paint, and you're doing the experiment for me. Let me know if it works, because I seriously want to paint mine....it's rusting.

Anonymous said...

This is so timely, I just did an internet search on this very topic! We just re-decorated our bathroom & replaced all the silver finishes w/oil rubbed bronze. The only thing standing out now is our shower door surround. I am really considering painting it, but only the outside of the frame (not sure the inside would hold up to scrubbing bubbles - if I can talk my husband into it ;). Can't wait to see your results!

rmchurt said...

I actually did this a while back, but used paint in a can instead of spraypaint. I taped everything off, and used an oil rubbed bronze paint. The paint was exterior (I figured if it could be used outside, it would stand up better to the shower). To my surprise, it has held up great for about 2 years now!

Anonymous said...

I researched this because like many people, I'm stuck with the nasty shiny brass... I read on a "gunstock" page that much of the shiny brass is actually not brass but simply a layer over aluminum. (duh, no wonder my shower door wobbles!) Basically, unless you can etch it down to the aluminum (professionally done) anything you apply will eventially peel off because of water/moisture. 2 - 4 years seems to be the consensus of all the pages I read for how long things last... It's a quick fix for a sale,but not a permanent soluction, in other words.... Shucks, and I wanted shiny silver and glass doors!

Anonymous said...

OK, I decided after reading through your posts and spray painting everything that glitters gold to ORB or brushed nickel, I decided to try and spray paint my bath faucet. I sprayed primer, then sprayed 3 coats of ORB, then 2 coats of Krylon Matte finish protector. I did the reveal today and it looks awesome, however, using the faucet handle for the second time and the paint started to peel, right at the crease where it turns. The other side looks good though and the rest of the faucet looks awesome and does not look painted. I think if I touched it up it would be fine. I plan to do the door handles and shower surround. I heard that you should paint of a really good primer to the shower surround and then spray paint and it should last longer. Definitely don't have the funds for a new surround but that gold is blinding!

Anonymous said...

rmchurt...what ORB paint in a can did you use? Thanks:)

rmchurt said...

I used Rust-oleum. Its technically Hammered Brown, but it matches my ORB fixtures perfectly. The can says you don't have to prime, so I didn't. I freaked out after the first coat, because it looked like it was beading up. Don't panic - just add another coat! I think I did a total of 3. Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

I too was just doing a search on this same thing. I don't have the funds for a new shower door, but I have never in my life painted something and had it look good. Is it possible to buy "size-able trim" to replace just the trim, and keep the glass?

Joe

Anonymous said...

I also hate my gold shower trim. Would love to change, been thinking about painting. I am looking forward to your reply.

DougN said...

So what's the verdict after letting this thing hang in your shower for a couple of years?

DougN said...

So what's the verdict after letting this thing hang in your shower for a couple of years?

DougN said...

So what's the verdict after letting this thing hang in your shower for a couple of years?

jade said...

I looked at them for a few days and then decided to fill one with a bouquet of flowers for our piano, Spray painting Sydney