Super Stealthy Mission at the Parade of Homes

Monday, June 29, 2009

Hey there - I hope everyone had a great weekend! We had our annual Parade of Homes going on, so I decided to take a gander through a few of the houses. I can sum my experience up in one word "Tuscan". It was everywhere! Don't get me wrong, the whole dark-aged wood, faux treated brown walls has it's place in the design world...but seriously people....EVERY SINGLE HOUSE?!

So imagine my delight when I walked up to the last house and saw a sign by the front door that read "designed with an east-coast cottage aesthetic"...stop-the-world! My eyes were as big as saucers when I walked in and saw clean, crisp white molding, and this chandelier in the dining room!


I thought "Ha! I've seen that chandelier online before and lusted after it! I can't believe it's in this house!"....Um..by the way...I've never claimed that I'm not a complete dork.

The realtor saw my excitement and raced over like Winnie the Pooh to the honey jar. I told him I wasn't in the market for a new house, but that it was absolutely beautiful and would he mind if I took a few photos (and batted my eyes the best I could)? Apparently I wasn't very convincing because he said NO photos. Blast! Can you believe that? He said "That's how our designer's make their living. We can't have people copying it." And I said (in my best empathetic tone), "Oh, I completely understand, but I was just thinking of taking photos for myself for my own reference - Not to publish on the internet or anything (wink wink, nudge nudge)." Yeah...still NO.


So I wandered around the house soaking in every detail....dark hardwood floors, grey toned walls, brushed nickel fixtures, travertine in the bathrooms...and just as I was about to pull out my camera like a super-spy to steal some photos of the master bathroom Mr. Realtor came in and said..."Ok, if you hurry you can take a couple pictures of the kitchen, but if anyone else walks in you have to stop." Well...ok then.

So here's what I was able to snap while Mr. Realtor nervously loomed over me (you can see him in one of the pictures).







Great quality photos, eh? But you get the idea, right? White cabinets, a black island, a farmhouse sink...ahhh, absolutely divine.


Sooo, that was my little adventure over the weekend. I did learn one thing, though, I'd make a really bad spy :-).

24 Suburbanites Said:

Mollie said...

I'm so glad he finally let you take some pictures-- thanks for sharing! I'm pretty sure that's my dream kitchen. :)

Annie said...

i WANT that light fixture!!! OMGoodness ...

Signing Out said...

How fun! That's a beautiful home in the photos! I love the farmhouse sink. I also like how they blended the cream cabinets with the chocolate brown ones. Can't tell if the countertops were granite or carrara marble. I love the color of them, though. Thanks for sharing!

Jane

Jane

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

I LOVE a good farmhouse sink...and I don't think a good spy asks permission first before taking pics. Ha!

Melaine Thompson said...

that is hilarious! I have always wanted to go in "open houses" just to look, but I have always been to nervous! I may have to do it now!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

I'm thinking a handbag with a hole in it??? You know, think Get Smart! :-)

Love the kitchen, it really is sensational...I want a farmhouse sink more than ANYTHING....my daughter has one and I'm green with envy.

Blessings,
Spencer

Montee said...

I live in Texas, so every house I go into has that Texas theme. I am a native South Carolinian and I try to make my home a combo of that with a touch of Texas. I am just not a big fan of cowhide on EVERYTHING from floor to ceiling.

I love that kitchen. The farmhouse sink and the backsplash are my favorite parts.

LuLu said...

I'm loving that kitchen!
LuLu

Anonymous said...

I had to smile with your reaction to every single house being "Tuscan." It happened to me a couple of years ago, except every single home was Asian--black & green, bamboo floors, etc. OK,one or two--fine, but not all of them--I kept thinking, don't they have Asian cottages???? Anyway, love that farm house style sink and that chandelier! Wow! Thank you for sharing & I am so enjoying your blog! Sindy

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Ooh, that is just divine! Love the contrast of the white farmhouse sink with the dark cabinets. Glad you were able to take some pictures. :)

Megan Lee said...

That kitchen is to die for! Thanks for sneaking a picture to share :)

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Such a beautiful kitchen! I am in love with that chandelier!! I can picture one like that in my soon to be new kitchen! Thanks for sharing :)

Stacey said...

That is a gorgeous kitchen. I love how light and bright it is. Here in Edmond, the show homes always have dark and heavy. Like you I would be very excited to see a different look.

amylouwhosews said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amylouwhosews said...

Ack! ♥ it! Tuscan is so last decade. I love the bright white and clean look here.

Yansy said...

Loving, and I mean loving that kitchen.

Unknown said...

There is a local builder who does Craftsman/Cottage and I love every house they do! Love the kitchen, such a pretty hood.

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun. I love that sink and the color in the room is very pretty.

Shannan Martin said...

Beautiful! And I agree - I grow weary of the "new home Tuscan" look. Hoorah for cottage decor at Parade of Homes! I'll bet it was the most popular one. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

At least you were brave enough to ask! I'd have been too chicken to even bring it up.

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Hello~I've just strolled into your blog for my first visit...I've enjoyed taking a peek at your past posts.
What beauty! You've got so many wonderful treasures. I'm a bit partial to the faucet....I've got the same one in my guest bath I purchased from Home depot.

I've bookmarked you into my favs.
I look forward to coming by your charming blog again.
Come by for a visit. The company would be nice.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

gina said...

Oh I'm in LOVE!! And that chandelier would be just PERFECT over my table. Do you have a link? Even if I can only afford to drool over it... ;)

SoBella Creations said...

I love the sink!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Ooooh I would have LOVED the tuscan everywhere!! I do the same thing at the home tours...snap pics. Whatev. They can get over it.