How to make a "Chandelabra"

Thursday, June 25, 2009

While planning my master bath redo, I knew I wanted a chandelier over my bathtub. The ceiling over the tub wasn't wired for electricity, though, and I didn't want to have to tackle the task of pulling wires myself (or hiring someone to do it for me). Soooo, I decided a "chandelabra" was the way to go (oh, and for those of you that are wondering...it's a fancy name for a chandelier that holds candles...I'm just fancy like that {eyeroll}).

I looked and looked...and looked for the perfect chandelabra, but I couldn't find anything for a reasonable price (I've seen like 5 since, but oh well...). It was when I spotted this baby in the corner of a garage at an estate sale that those gears in my little brain started spinning.



Of course! Why couldn't a regular chandelier be used as a chandelbra? And it was only $16...yes, that's right $16... so I couldn't pass it up.

I removed the metal plate from the top of the chain, and then gave her a coat of black spray paint, and popped short white taper candles in.

She needed a little something extra though (have you noticed how everything in my house seems to be a "she"?), so I bought some "crystals" on Ebay (I'm pretty sure they're plastic, but shhhh....don't tell anyone). I would give you the seller's name, but this was a one time deal for her so it wouldn't be helpful to you. There are plenty on there though.

I also sewed a cover for the chain (which was important since I wound the wires down through the chain and they needed to be concealed). I made the cover in the easiest, simplest, even-a- caveman-could-do-it kind of way.


Step 1: I simply held some fabric up to the chain making a little pocket around the chain. I held it so it was tight enough that it wouldn't slide down, but loose enough that it would comfortably bunch up (I totally eyeballed this), and then I made a little mark on each side of the fabric where the seam should go.

Step 2: I cut a strip of fabric, leaving maybe 1/2 inch on each side of where the seam would be. I also made the cover longer than the actual chain (maybe 1/3 longer?) so it would bunch up a little...can you tell how completely unscientific this process was?

Step 3: I folded the fabric lengthwise and pinned along where the seam would go. I then hand stitched along that line (don't worry, it didn't take more than 10-15 minutes). Oh, and I didn't even hem the top and bottom....seriously, once they're tucked under who's going to notice?

Step 4: I slid it over the chain...and laughed at how surprisingly good it looked despite my haphazard cavewoman approach :-).

I then hung my dolled up chandelabra from the ceiling with one of these handy dandy ceiling anchor swivel hooks (except mine was black). Worked like a dream.


Have a great weekend!
~ AnNicole

18 Suburbanites Said:

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

What a clever girl you are. I love it. I want one!

Frugal Jen said...

What a great idea! Now I am brainstorming where I can put one.

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

I've beeen looking for one since your post. I have a candlabra that is too small and want something bigger. Of course, our old brass fixture from the dining room would have been perfect, but it's long gone!!

shortmama said...

That come out great! Love it!

Unknown said...

It looks great! I love the chain cover. Treasures like that just make a room. Thanks for sharing.

Charla

Tricia said...

Looks great! I have a candelier than I bought at IKEA a few years ago, and it has yet to be put up in this house. Yours is much fancier. Love the crystals too! Bathing in luxury! Calgon take me away, right?! ;)
*Tricia

EMBELLISH said...

The redo looks fabulous!

Ece Aymer said...

What a great idea!!I should use it somewhere immediately, I have already started thinking if any of my friends' bathroom needs renovation so I can use this candelier idea...Thanks for your inspirations!!I have just popped over here from another blog and I loved your postings so much..I am sure you will love my blog as well if you come to visit me soon...Lots of kisses...

Anonymous said...

I've thought about something like this for over our bathtub too since mine is similar. I love how your bathroom turned out, so lovely and cottagey.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Cute! Thanks for the instructions on the sleeve!!!

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

She's a BEAUTY! Nice work!!!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love it and have been wanting one for my bathroom, also. Thanks for helping me out.

Anna said...

What a cute idea!!

Thanks for the reply about the paint colors, by the way :) I'm actually from Cache Valley originally but moved to SLC for school and just stayed until last summer. We're in Idaho now. Miss the mountains!!

liveabeautifulife said...

nice & beautiful decor there! =)

abeachcottage said...

I love how this turned out

I have one hanging over my bathtub, but it is very plain, a Scandi style one from IKEA and I am going to try this on it to pretty it up

thanks, great inspiration

Sarah

tammy said...

It looks great. I have never heard it called a chandelabra..we always called them a candelier haha same thing different word.

kd said...

My vote is for "candelier" as well :)

Either way, that's a supercalifragilistic idea & execution and I totally hope to copy it!

Room to Inspire said...

I love the addition of the crystals to the chandelier, how did you attach them??? It looks great! Thanks for sharing all of your fabulous ideas.