The Look For Less: Pottery Barn Toile Bedroom

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I haven't done one of these in a while, so I thought this could be a fun exercise for today. I love the look of this Pottery Barn room.

I love the contrast of the crisp white against the dark chocolate walls, I love the toile bedding, I love the airy curtains framing the bed, and I love the cute little mirror above the bed.

Honestly though, it would be impossible for me to go out and buy everything in this room from Pottery Barn. I'm not picking on PB here, I love them, but I just don't have that kind of dough. So let's look at other ways to create this same look, shall we?

Bedding:

The Pottery Barn Matine Toile Duvet cover is $149.00 for a Queen, and standard shams are $29 each. That's not terrible, but let's look at other options.

The photo below is from Overstock.com. I know this pattern isn't "toile", but it does give the same feel. The best part? It's $39.99 for a queen sized duvet AND 2 shams. Are you liking it better now?
This appears to be the same pattern to me. I found this on Ebay (here's the link). The 3 piece set is listed for $79.99.
Here's another option for you, sew. I know, it's a scary option, but I promise the sewing machine won't bite. And here's some incentive for you; this option gives you the freedom to create exactly what you want for CHEAP!

For example, here are two brown toile fabrics I found on Fabric.com.



To make a queen sized duvet cover you'd need about 5 yards of fabric, and a flat sheet (which you may already have). At the fabric prices listed above, you could have your own toile duvet for $35-$50.

Tired of me beating you over the head? It's okay...You don't have to sew if you don't want to. Really, I won't make you...I'm not going to come to your house to check up on you. Just giving you options here :-).

Sheer, Flowy Curtains/Something to Hang them On:

The lovely Pottery Barn curtains surrounding the bed are $25-$30 each.

These curtains at Ikea are $4.99...a PAIR! These curtains are $9.99 each at JC Penney (they come in white).

But what do you hang the curtains on if you don't have a canopy bed? How 'bout a ceiling mounted curtain rod? Like this one from JC Penney's?

Or, you could get super creative like this gal and build a wood frame on the ceiling and staple the curtains on the inside.

I would also scour Craigslist and fleamarkets for canopy beds that you could pick up for cheap.

Finally, Paint:

The paint color used in the Pottery Barn room is Benjamin Moore Kona (AF-165). It is really dark, though, so only go this dark if your room gets a ton of natural light. Also, I wouldn't recommend picking a paint color until you actually have your bedding since you want to make sure the browns match. I know...I'm being ultra helpful here :-).

So Let's Price Things Out:

The Pottery Barn Room: Bedding $207; Sheers (4) $100; Bed $1,299

Our Super Creative Option: Bedding $39-79; Sheers $10-40; Ceiling Mounts for Sheers $20-60

And...that's how I shop. That's how super-tight-income-little-'ol-me can afford to beautify my home. I hope this exercise gives you some hope that you can too.

22 Suburbanites Said:

Kristie said...

You are so thrifty! I love the bedding you found on Overstock.com! Shame on me for never checking them out even after hearing rave reviews ~ now I will for sure thanks to your post! Thank you so much for sharing!

Kristen said...

What a great post! I loved it and would love to see more like this!

Anonymous said...

That's how I shop too!! I love Pottery Barn but I usually wait until I find something very similar or it's on clearance at PB. I actually love the bedding you showed from overstock.com.

LeAnn

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Looooooove the bedding options!!! I think I like the cheaper version from Overstock better. ;)

Autum said...

I'm right there with you, super-tight-income, little-ol-you! Personally, I think it's much more satisfying to get the look for much less! Great post!

Wendy said...

Just last week my beautiful and lovely black lab lily chewed a hole in my red toile quilt (ugh) and I needed to search for new bedding! Thanks for your post, you gave me some great ideas!!

Suzann said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I've been eyeing a couple of ideas from PB for my bedroom and searching for a "cheap" alternative.

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

That's how I shop too! I really like that paisly pattern you found at Overstock. I have something similar that I got at overstock it's called Havana sheets. They have a duvet too. Ok, so I'm off to overstock to check out those paisley sheets

Mikael@starter home to dream home said...

And this is why I LOVE YOU!!!! Seriously though, you rock!
I went to "restore" today and got me a freakin amazing door I am going to make as a headboard ($30)! SO EXCITED
now I know where to go to get my bedding and curtains. LOVE this post. DO MORE :)

Robyn said...

I totally LOVE the way you think! ;-)

cindy said...

A girl after my own heart....I've sewn tons of duvets and shams. Sewing a straight line usually isn't too hard for me.:o) I'm still hoping you'll do a slipcover tutorial someday!

truly blessed said...

Thank you so much for this post. I love the looks that PB have, but could never afford them. THIS, I can do. For some reason figuring out HOW to do all of this overwhelms me and I simply don't do it. You've taken the difficult part out of the equation for me. Thanks a bunch.

Adrienne said...

I admired this very bedding just the other day!

Paddywack Designs said...

I so need to learn my way around the sewing machine, but I love the overstock option too... maybe even better!

Suesan said...

awesome job!! now do this some more :)

Lori said...

I love stuff like this!! Thanks so much for showing us how simple it can be.

Borrowed Bungalow said...

Wonderful post! I too am always looking for looks for less and I never buy anything that's not on sale. And too if you get sick of it you don't feel like you just wasted a ton of $$$

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Great post! I love that bedroom, but I think your ideas for it are even better. That bedding from eBay is beautiful. Wonder how I could justify buying new bedding right now... :)

Nouveau Stitch said...

So many look at "sew" as a four letter word! I look at it as a way to redecorate often! Also, the spoiled brat in me wants it the way I want it, and now, so sewing home dec is often my best option. Love the way you did the room on the cheap, great post!

Ellen

Kelly @ Much To Do With Nothing said...

I was looking at brown toile yesterday at Hancock Fabrics. Of course, on the sale table. I love recreating rooms "cheap" it's always the better way. The process is more fun, and so much more creative. Anyone can just "shop". Thanks for stopping by. Who were you on rms? So many people from there went and got blogs. I was a VERY latecomer. They all have such great blogs!
Kelly

الوسام said...





ونعم، نحن جاهزون لتقديم أفضل خدمة تنظيف بأرخص سعر للمستأجرين الذين يريدون تنظيف عميق لمسكنهم الذي أستاجروه في نهاية عقد الإيجار الخاص بهم من أجل الحصول على مبلغ التأمين الخاص بك مرة أخرى دون أن يستغل صاحب السكن وضع السكن الغير نظيف ويخصم لك الكثير من قيمة التأمين.
شركة تنظيف سجاد بالرياض
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض

تنظيف موكيت بالرياض

غسيل موكيت بالرياض

غسيل سجاد بالرياض
للبدء في أعمال التنظيف، فقط اتصل بشركة تنظيف بالرياض-خادمة أو قم بإرسال رسالة على البريد الإلكتروني لجدولة خدمة التنظيف التي تريدها بشكل مجاني مجانية بحيث يتم تحويلك مباشرة إلى خدمة العملاء التي تتواصل معك لتحصل على خدمة التنظيف التي تريدها وفي الوقت المطلوب دون أبدا أي التزام من جانبك.


hamed221 said...

Check out the tips here for your bachelor party and how that coincides with whats going on here. More info for all types of ideas located in Nashville Tn.
رضا بهرام

 

blog design

Graphically Designing

our suburban cottage featured

Home & Garden Blogs
Lifestyle Blogs - Blog Rankings
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected