6 Easy Ways to Like Your Home More Today

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Photo Credit: My Home Ideas
6 EASY WAYS TO LIKE YOUR HOME MORE TODAY

1) CLEAN SOMETHING: You don’t have to clean the whole house, just pick one area (i.e. a shelf, the floors in the living room) and clean it. Or set the clock for 15 or 30 minutes and see how much you can get done before the timer goes off. You’ll instantly feel better.

2) FIX ONE THING: Is there a light bulb that’s been out for a while? A piece of trim that needs 30 seconds with a glue gun? A button that needs to be sewn on? Choose one thing and do it.

3) MAKE YOUR HOUSE SMELL GOOD: Open a window (unless it’s 30 degrees outside), light a scented candle, spray some Febreeze on the upholstery (…and in your teenage son’s bedroom), bake cookies (well…you know…those pre-made ones from the deli case…I’m not asking you to clean AND bake real cookies!)

4) SHAKE IT UP BY SHOPPING THE HOUSE: Could the throw pillows on the sofa look nice on your bed?…or vice versa? Would that vase on your dresser be the perfect solution for your mantel with a handful of branches in it? Take a few minutes and experiment.

5) FIND SOMETHING TO PAINT!: Can you breathe new life into that old frame?, those ugly candlesticks?, or those boring oak stools? Think about it, and remember that a quart of paint or a can of spray paint is CHEAP.

6) DO SOMETHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY: Listen to music while you cook, light a few candles and “dine” over mac n’ cheese, eat on the good plates (that doesn’t have to include your 3 year old). Doing something out of the ordinary instantly makes things feel special.

28 Suburbanites Said:

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Love the Heather Chadduck pic :). Your tips are great and ones I abide by!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

GREAT suggestions!!! :) I can think of at least one thing I can do for each of your ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Folkman's said...

I did the ones on #3 today and it makes such a difference when your trying to freshen up! the nice fresh air, the smell of fresh cookies, and my orange clove candle! Yummy!

Noodle said...

This is one of my favorite posts! You have really put it in a nutshell, and these things are do-able and make me feel better already!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Thanks for the tips - it's those little details that make the difference, but are so doable!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Great list! I think a lot of people forget about the "smell good" thing, and it makes such a big difference.

Love that photo at the top of your post, too. Beautiful room! :)

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Wonderful list, easy to do and all make a difference. I love having music on in the house, really brings it to life!
Have a great one...Janell

Christine said...

You are so right! When we sold our last home which I really didn't like so much, we cleaned every inch of it and did all the pesky little repairs that we never got around to. When we were done I said jokingly, "No we don't need to move!" The change was amazing! (We still moved for other reasons)

beth said...

Great list, AnNicole! Such great little things to do in our house to make it feel comfortable and homey! Have a great day! Beth.

Stephanie @ A Fine House said...

What a great list! Such wonderful suggestions. I'm on it!

Kelli said...

This is a great post. I did a few of these things yesterday and it really helped. I really can only be the little things that make a difference.

Loui♥ said...

Great post!!
perfect in all the small details..
usually incorporate most of these in my "To Do" list..
smell is really important..I have 3 furbabies..so fresh and clean are the smells I prefer..and something bubbling in the crock pot is always welcoming as I DANCE to my cleaning music!
hugs and smiles..
Loui♥

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

Great post! I will do all of these today and start the week off right!
I nominated you for a Kreativ Blogger Award - please check out my blog for all the details!!

Sheila said...

All lovlie and cost practically nothing ideas... now that's a good thing ;)

Sheila

gina said...

These tips are so true- and good reminders for those in a funk. 'tis the season to enjoy our homes!!

chandelier said...

I love all your tips. They are ones that are reasonable and can make a huge difference.

countrymans said...

Oh those are very inspiring tips. If fact I'm going to go do some of them now.. er after I get off the computer. :)

Unknown said...

Okay, okay I'll get up and CLEAN something! :)
Seriously, though, this was really inspiring, and so "spot on."

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

Thanks for the great tips...we just did #5 in our kitchen!

Unknown said...

Muy buenos consejos. Great tips!!!

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

This is a great list. I shopped my house today and found a new spot for one of my trays. This was fun to read!

Bethany Christensen said...

Those are such great tips! I just found your blog and bookmarked it. Love your great advise and focus on "real" life decorating. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in thinking that more money would solve my decorating problems!

Jessie and Jennifer said...

Those are some great tips! Sometimes people get stuck in a rut and need a little encouraging that doesn't involve buying new. Thanks for this I needed it!

Drømmeslottet said...

Hi! I just found your blog via Hooked on houses and I really love it. Your list made me want to go home and light my favorite candle that smells of cinnamon and mandarine. Maybe I will put on some music when I cook dinner tonight as well. Thank you for the inspiration...you have now got a new devoted reader.

Caroline said...

Fun post, I always like my home more right after I've cleaned.

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

good reminders that it doesn't take a lot to make you satisfied/happy.

Handbags*and*Pigtails said...

Just found your blog through the grapevine and became a follower. Im in LOVE...with your blog that is.
I actually have the original magazine your picture here is from. Its from ages ago but I loved alot of the mag pics for inspiration so I still have it.
Sarah
handbagsnpigtails.blogspot.com

gcomfort said...

So much wisdom in this post!

 

blog design

Graphically Designing

our suburban cottage featured

Home & Garden Blogs
Lifestyle Blogs - Blog Rankings
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected