I Found the Coolest (Inexpensive) Store on Earth

Sunday, November 8, 2009

How many of you have been to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore before? Good for you - you'll totally know what I'm talking about in this post then. And those of you who haven't....OH MY GOSH! I am so excited to share this with you (Okay, let me compose myself here).

Uh hum...okay...I decided to stop by my local ReStore over the weekend...for the first time. It.was.so.cool. It's filled wall to wall with old doors (!), and old tile (!), and old shutters (!), and old light fixtures (!)...OH the spray painting possibilities!

For example (I apologize for these truly horrible photos. They would have been much better had I remembered to bring my real life camera, and not been forced to use my cell phone camera...which I couldn't figure out how to unzoom).

Imagine this chandelier painted ORB, or Black, or Red!


See all the shutters? Oh...wouldn't they be so wonderful painted robins egg blue, or...well...I'm sure there are other great colors too.

The best part about the ReStore is that it's not only chalk full of cool stuff, but the proceeds go towards building homes for people in need. And...you can buy what you want, and also DONATE what you don't need anymore. Okay, I'm going to cry like Oprah now. Great shopping for a great cause. What could be better?

To find your local ReStore, click on this link.

Have a great Monday!

32 Suburbanites Said:

Lynette said...

I've heard so much about their stores! I need to take some time to go to the one(s) in our town, just have NOT found the time! I will soon though - heard nothing but good about them!

Craft fair was great - just posted my pics - enjoyed all the moments!

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

I need to visit their store here. I always have them come to pick up things I want to donate but I have never shopped their store. I will have to do this soon!

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

I need to visit mine... I hear they have great prices too!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

We have one close to our house, but I haven't had a chance to visit yet. It's on my list!!! :)

Sheila said...

Coolio... thanks for sharing :)

sheila

Jill said...

We have one right next to our Salvation Army but I never take the time to go in. Now I definitely will! Thank you!
~ Jill

CaraM said...

Thank you! Didn't know the store existed - thanks to you, I located one just 20 minutes from me. OOH, I can't wait!

Anne said...

I love going to our local ReStore. One of the things I like most is that the stock is always moving and changing. Not like walking into TJ Maxx and it's the same stuff for three weeks in a row ...

Wendy said...

I am crossing my fingers that a store is close to my home. Thanks for sharing, I didn't know that they had a store. What a great cause. As a public health nurse, I know first hand how important these causes are to our community.
I was going to try your idea to paint my door knobs, but maybe I could find some there! Thank you!!

K@The Thrifty Teacher said...

Ours is a bit expensive... in my opinion. I still go and check it out and hope for a deal though :)

Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

I just recently learned about these stores when my parents had a manager of one come out to a house they are going to tear down to offer him the chance to take whatever he wanted to sell at the store. I'm definitely going to have to get to a local one! Thanks for the link to find one in my area.

Mikael@starter home to dream home said...

thanks for posting this!! Never heard of it but SOOOOO totally stoked to go check it out! There is one down the street (now I need to find time to go ALONE without the kiddies.)

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

We have a ReStore here and I was so pleased when I went in there to see all the great stuff. I was a bit upset that I went when I was broke - because I know when I go back they won't have the stuff I realllllly wanted.

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

It is a really cool place, but you definitely need to be one of those crazy people (um...like me) that can walk in and see the many creative possibilities.

And yes, I do love that it's for a good cause. I love stuff like that.

cindy said...

I've bought soooo much at the ReStore. In fact, yesterday I got an oversized soaking tub for our bathroom for less than $200. I've bought tons of shutters there, and a cabinet hutch, and paint, and wood trim and lights....on and on and on. LOVE the ReStore!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Not only are they are great resource, BUT your local ReStore also welcomes your material donations and your time...spend a day or a few hours working the store, it is a great experience!
Janell

Nicole @ the style hatch said...

WOW!! I wish the one near me had a chandelier like that.. I have been looking all over for a cheap one!! Great finds!

Unknown said...

I am heading to one near me tomorrow on my lunch hour! I am so excited!!!

Brakes and Gas said...

Hi! Just happened upon your blog and it is really lovely; just chock full of great ideas! I am bummed they don't have a habitat store in my area but I may have to travel over the bridge to visit Oakland's one of these days! Thanks for the info!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

A girlfriend introduced this store to me a year ago and it is FABULOUS! The one by us is a bit of a drive, but I'm now reminded that maybe a need to take another trip!!!

Kathi said...

I have never heard of a store like that! Thank you so much for sharing. And there's one only 20min from my house! Yay! Now I want to go.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I just checked and there aren't any stores near me. Bummer. I love the idea of it, though.

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

Thanks for the tip! I will go to one near me this week!

Danielle

Unknown said...

OMG!!! Thanks for the link I am going 2Day! There's one practically around the corner fr me and I didn't know it. I will need stuff for my new house we are doing the final walk thru 2day too!!! YAY!!!

Cynthia said...

Wow - how very cool. I had no idea they had a ReStore. Off to check out where the nearest one is. Love your blog.

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

Mine is over 2 hours away...anyone been to the one in Provo Utah? Is it worth it?

At Town Square said...

Wow,
I could have some fun in that place! I guess I need to find out where the nearest one to me is.
Love the pics of your house and your blog. I started blogging in Sept. Come on over..would love for ya to follow.

Michelle said...

I LOVE the ReStore. I try to make it out there at least once a month (it's about a 30 min. drive). They have the best stuff, and the money you spend goes for a great cause.

Unknown said...

So cool! I've been dying to check out our local ReStore, but it's in a bad area, so I've been told I can't go by myself. I'll have to drag my husband there SOON. :)

Deborah in Atlanta said...

Thanks for sharing. I had never heard of the ReStore, but will definitely be checking it out. Soon! In fact, I may check and see if they're open tomorrow (Veterans Day) since I have the day off work. I'm so excited!

Anonymous said...

the term is 'chock full'. you teach me decor, i teach you spelling.

Meg said...

We have one of these and my beau has even been solicited by them for donations from his work, but I've never been.

Now, I have to. HAVE TO!!!

 

blog design

Graphically Designing

our suburban cottage featured

Home & Garden Blogs
Lifestyle Blogs - Blog Rankings
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected