New Spring Pillows

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Ahh, Spring – with it’s colorful blossoms, hint of warmth, and gentle breezes (well..unless you live in Tornado country…then it’s full of terrifying Tornado sirens that wake you up in the middle of the night…but back to my story). With the dawning of a new season…I decided to update the pillows in our living room. What? Were you expecting something more profound? Sorry, but don’t you know me at all? It’s mostly about fabric and paint for me.

I still love the Pottery Barn pillows I sprung for last Fall, but I wanted something fresh and Springy for the next few months (the other pillows will come out again in the Fall). I knew I couldn’t afford to buy $200 worth of new pillows (seriously…are there people that really do that?), so I decided to see what I could come up with on a budget.

About 2-1/2 years ago I bought 5 yards of Pottery Barn Medici fabric on clearance for something ridiculous like $25. As you can imagine, I’ve been hoarding it ever since. I used it for a valance in my old kitchen, but I’ve pretty much kept it pristine in its little plastic packaging since then (please tell me I’m not the only person that hoards fabric and is then afraid to {shudder} use it). Anyway, I knew it was time to pull my Medici fabric out and display it proudly in the form of 2 new pillows.

IMG_3028

I’ve also had my eye on these pillows from Pottery Barn, but didn’t want to fork out $39 a pop.

Sooo, I bought a yard of blue linen fabric at Hobby Lobby (on sale for $12), and then scoured the city for jute trim. I finally found jute trim at a local fabric store. It was more expensive than I’d planned (I spent $20 for enough for 2 pillows)), but it was still a lot less than the Pottery Barn pillows would have been. Ultimately, I made 2 pillows for about $15 each.

IMG_3033

Finally, I had to “spring” for (ha…oh so hilarious) this bird pillow from Pottery Barn. It was on clearance a month ago for $20-something  (don’t you love my fuzzy math?) and I knew it would be the perfect little Springy something. I’m sure you can still find it on Ebay.

IMG_3034

Ahh, Spring loveliness…

 IMG_3036

IMG_3003

For a great tutorial on sewing your own pillows, see this post at Isabella and Max Rooms.

Have a great day!

sig

22 Suburbanites Said:

Jessi said...

All of the pillows are gorgeous together! And you did such a nice job making them.

Cottage Dreamers said...

The pillows are beautiful and so Springy! I'm a fabric hoarder too! It's terrible!
☺ Celeste

Vanessa said...

Those look GREAT! I have been looking for some different pillows to lighten up my dark brown sofa. I can't find anything that I love, so still looking. I need to find some fabric and make some! Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

LOVE this! I adore that Pottery Barn pillow with the jute trim, and never thought I could make it myself. Now I'm inspired. And, you are NOT the only one who hoardes fabric...I needed a curtain for the vintage black and white bathroom in my new apartment, and lo and behold, I found just enough black and white toile fabric in my fabric stash that I must have bought at least five years ago. "Free" curtains!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Love the trim - perfect spring pillows!

Lisa-Marie said...

How inviting your sofa looks! I love all of your cushions, very cute!

The Misty Journey said...

gorgeous! nice job!!! you should link up with http://thevirginiahouse.blogspot.com/search/label/We%20Can%20Do%20It%20Cheaper. Can't wait to see what else you do!!!

Mary Catherine said...

I love the medici fabric!

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

Those are beautiful! I need spring pillows in the worst way. I'll have to add that to my long to-do list. :)
Blessings!
Traci

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you used the fabric! The pillows turned out fabulous and love them with the bird pillow that was an absolute must!
So pretty and springy ~

Sarah :)

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Your pillows are beautiful...thanks for the mention! I've got a growing pile of fabric just waiting to be made into pillows, when I get a moment! Janell

Skye McLain said...

I love love love the birdy pillow - too cute! I wish I could find some of the Medici fabric - it is so pretty!

Kristine at The Painted Hive said...

Lovely, so springy. Don't worry, you're not the only one who hoards fabric because you don't want to cut it up. I buy it all the time on sale and it just sits in my linen chest - waiting.
Kristine
xxx

Hello said...

very cute! love the colors. I too hoard fabric. I just bought a few yards of different ones I loved. Of course when the hubs saw it, he said "What's that for?" I just had to have it, don't worry it will go somewhere I said quickly but he knew as he shook his head at me and laughed. I can't help it, it's like the fabric calls to me :)

~ Regan said...

Those pilows look loverly! ;) Love the birdie!

You've got me looking around here now... Hmmm.. Thinking I need to update some pillows, too.... :)

Erin said...

I love them! So much that I will probably steal them. Not literally...from your house... But the idea! I love the greens & blues & textural neutrals topped off with a lovely bird. So much of what I'm loving right now. Thanks for sharing!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

I love all of your pillows! And yes, jute trim costs a fortune. Grrrrrrrr. You didn't highlight this pillow, but I'm loving the linen pillow with the button top closure. Where did you get that lovely?

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

No, you are not the only one...I have a studio full of coveted fabric. I really need to let go of it and use it up...there will be more..I'm sure of that...;-) Great pillows!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Girl those are awesome!!! I'm totally impressed! Love the colors and the TRIM!

Sandy said...

Beautiful and fresh looking. I'm in need of some sprucing up with new pillows in my living room!

Melanie said...

Good job and I am not one of those people that buy the expensive pillows from Pottery Barn:)

Holly said...

LOVE the pillows. They turned out really nice! I like to change things up with the seasons too.