Hitches are a Witch

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

So, I showed you my new upholstered headboard yesterday, and alluded to a “blooper reel” I’d be sharing with you. Here’s the thing, I’ve never, not even once, not just one teensy weensy time, been able to get through a project without some unexpected hitch showing its nasty little face. Some hitches are worse than others, and some just seem to multiply within a project, but I’ve come to just expect the little buggers. I now know that at some point whilst working away on a project, a hitch is going to appear.

For example, when I was working on my headboard I originally started using individual upholstery tacks. I traced a straight line in pencil so I would know exactly where to nail each tack. I focused, and squinted my eyes in deep concentration using all of my physical and mental powers to create a straight line with the upholstery tacks. And this is what I got…

IMG_2994

Blast! Gaah!!! Flumpity bumpity!!!

I finally gave in and realized that despite my best efforts, the individual upholstery tacks just weren’t gonna happen. So I got online and ordered upholstery tacks in a strip from this Ebay store…and then summoned all of my miniscule stores of patience while I waited for the tacks to arrive.

Yes, they finally arrived and I was able to finish the project, but my point is…expect the hitch and don’t be afraid of it. Wait for it; watch for it; recognize it when its ugly little head pops up. And then be willing to adapt and change directions to finish the project. But whatever you do, don’t get overly frustrated and give up (or GHASP! never attempt a project again). I promise you it will be worth it in the end to adapt and endure.

sig

OSC_Flower_Logo

16 Suburbanites Said:

Bethany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bethany said...

Thank you for sharing this! So many times I read blog posts and think if I tried that it would never work. It just goes to show that it isn't always perfect. Thanks for keeping it real.

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

I am Queen of the Hitch and have most definitely learned to expect any project I attempt to take twice as long because of the nasty hitch. Don't worry. I'm tenacious and refuse to let those hitches triumph!!

Tiffany said...

Well said. Always the inspiration.

Unknown said...

Yes, the dreaded hitches! Every single project, from kitchen countertops to spray paint, always has at least one bump, and by now I've learned to just persevere and figure out a way around the hitch! Nothing is ever perfect - but that's okay, because life would be boring if everything was always perfect and went smoothly. It's the bumps in the road - the hitches - that we'll remember in the end, and how we conquered them! :)

Anne said...

Amen, sister. I just encountered my latest hitch and, as a result, dismantled an entire 6-foot armoire I'm building in order to rethink my plan. It came apart with a mallet in about 5 minutes, after 2 hours of work. Gah! Those hitches keep us humble.

Sylvia (at) Lily's Pad and Petals said...

Same here - nothing ever goes all right - I always have a bo bo on everyone one of my projects.

JulesB said...

Good post!

Hitches are frustrating, but sometimes you end up with a better finished project when things don't go exactly as planned.

Marianne said...

I sew, and I have sewn on and of your years. In all the projects I have made not once, NOT EVEN ONCE, have I not needed my seam ripper. Yes bloopers are bound to happen and some DIY projects turn out to be blooper altogether, but you say a few harsh words, laugh at yourself, learn and move on. You are so right that it shouldn't stop you from picking it up again and keep going.

Laurie-Jean said...

Went to the GW recently and purchased a plant stand, actually felt more like I pilfered it for the price I paid. Had oh-so-grand plans of applying silver leaf to the entire stand. Well, long story short - the adhesive was most difficult to work with. Ended up once again sanding and applying a primer AGAIN. Finally was satisfied with just painting the table silver. Looking for another project and pray it'll be blooper-free! :O)

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

Sarah @ TDC linked to you so here I am! I love your blog. I'm adding it to my RSS as. we. speak!

Elena @ white picket fence said...

I so want to do this too now!! I love nail head look, so chic.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

I just love this idea! Ack...I don't think I have time to put a post together. Drat. By the way, I finally grabbed your button for my blog roll. I can't believe I didn't have it already...

TheVirginiaHouse said...

Amen! Thank you for that reminder. I always have more hitches then succeses.


Check out my giveaway!

Kate Riley said...

Love this party ! So many great inspirational posts to visit, thanks so much for sharing ! Your home is most lovely and I enjoy watching you fix it up. You amaze me !

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Oh yes...there is ALWAYS a hitch in my projects. Your advice is great...you do have to give in and adapt and just make it work sometimes. Thanks for sharing your bloopers. It's nice to know I'm not alone. I had the same issue with upholstery tacks when I skirted my computer desk. I think I ended up working until 3:00 am to get it all straight. Next time...I will order the strips!

~Amanda
:)