My Favorite Vignettes

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Beth at Stories of A to Z is having a “Ready Set Vignette” party today, and I really wanted to participate. I hoard accessories, but oddly my own vignettes don’t change very often. Hmmm, maybe if I stopped painting for five minutes they would?… :). So rather than boring you with more photos of the same old vignettes in my house, I also hoard photos of accessories, and here are a few of my faves

This Martha Stewart mantel has been in my “dream home” file for a while. I love the soothing colors and interest of the vintage landscape paintings – especially combined with a simple starfish and a tiny vase that picks up with the green in the paintings. For a similar look be on the lookout for vintage paintings at thrift stores and “flea-tique” stores. I see them all the time. And you can paint unsightly or uncoordinated frames in matching colors that you draw from the paintings.

Martha Stewart Mantle

I love this BHG vignette below. I hope you haven’t already seen it too many times. Ahhh…the combo of white/black and warm wood. Lovely. This look could easily be replicated with a couple black and white drawings or photos placed in large black frames with thick white mats. Warm wood accents and rustic baskets complete the look.

bhg room

This Country Living vignette is a great example of how repeating similar items can add a lot of interest and result in a a big impact. I love how the topiary kind of breaks up the look too.

Country Living clocks-de-95383731

Oh symmetry…I love symmetry – mostly because it’s fairly foolproof :). In the photo below they’ve created a visual triangle, though by having the birdcage in the center be slightly taller than the lamps on either side (and much taller than the vases). Triangles are good when it comes to creating vignettes. Make your arrangement create some kind of triangle and you’re probably going to be okay.

Catherine - andreas_von_einsiedel2

Finally, I love this photo from Ballard Designs. This vignette shows how you don’t need a lot of stuff to have a nice vignette. In a nutshell…go big. The combination of the large items, as well as the varying colors and textures, creates a really interesting vignette.

Wind Lost Table

13 Suburbanites Said:

Kristine at The Painted Hive said...

Love, love , love. I'm gonna head over to check out that vignette party now. Thanks for the link.
Kristine

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

Thanks for sharing the lovely photos! Great inspiration! I really hope you do another party similar to "How I Met My House", I just couldn't get together all of the shots that I wanted to in time! Take care!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

I am so glad you linked up and put together such a fantastic post to boot! Love the inspiration pics. I'm totally copying the birdcage one next month!

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

Those are lovely vignettes you found. I'm with you, I don't change them that often. I do change my sideboard seasonally but that is about it.

Michelle said...

Once I get something "right" I tend not to change very often, myself.

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

I love the clocks vignette. Great stuff, thanks for sharing. I have just started a new blog, if you get a chance stop by and take a look http://ms-smartie-pants.blogspot.como

Unknown said...

In the "symmetrical vignette" the lamps are not evenly spaced. That would drive me crazy. This is the danger of symmetry. :)

Melanie said...

I love things to be even too. I think that I am the only one that doesn't change my stuff around a lot. I know that a lot of bloggers change stuff all the time.

Me and you just like to paint alot, don't me?

Unknown said...

Those are great photos! My biggest trouble is with small vignettes. I have several areas where there's not a lot of room to work with. Any tips?

Thanks!

Nancy

Lylah Ledner said...

What a great idea post! lylah

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Great pictures! That second one is gorgeous, as well as the one with the birdcage. I love symmetry, but I'm trying to break out of that sometimes. Thanks for the inspiration.

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

Love those pictures. Thanks for sharing some vignette inspiration. :)

arrielle_p said...

What a lovely vignettes photos you have shared in here. Love it!

philippine real estate