VINTAGE GRAIN SACKS

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I've been thinking about vintage grain sacks quite a bit lately...Ha! Can you imagine if that was a response to "Penney for your thoughts...?". Anyhoo, I've especially been drawn to the gorgeous monogrammed grain sacks out there. My fascination with these grain sacks was all started by this post at Joys of Home where she created her own "grain sack" with burlap and craft paint.




Oh, how I want to make one of these now. I especially love the olive branches. Brilliant!

Here are some other gorgeous grain sacks I've found out there:





If I do in fact make one of these and it looks halfway decent I'll be sure to post about it. If it looks horrible...I guess I could share what not to do :).

19 Suburbanites Said:

Heather said...

I love French grain sacks. I bought the pillows from Wisteria that are burlap printed like old sacks, but they're not the same. They're not age-ed. I really wanted to find two matching sets and make window treatments with them, but alas they were too pricey on Ebay.

Amber Filkins said...

Beautiful pictures!! Looking forward to seeing what you got! :)

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see what you come up with. In the meantime, can you just post me that second grain sack over to me thanks?

Willow Decor said...

Vintage Grains sacks are so beautiful!! I have shown many expmaples of the sacks and how to use them in many different projects. Check out my posts on this and my links to to two women who sell the antique linens and the pillows. Many of the ones above are not in fact antiques, but copies, but they are beautiful just the same.
xx-Gina

mimi charmante said...

Aren't they just heavenly? I have an old burlap sack that I am going to find two pillow inserts this morning for. I want to make some floor pillows so I have to find large inserts! I also love my two pillows that I made from an old flour sack. I am always on the look-out!
Fabulous post,
xo

Erin said...

I love those! I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for some vintage Spanish grain sacks, although I have no idea where I'd find them here! It seems like something that would just get thrown away. I think my idea of devastatingly wonderful is very different than others in this culture!

Joy said...

I'm sure yours will be beautiful! Burlap is so inexpensive that you should just jump right in and do it. It really is FUN!
Thanks for mentioning my blog. I appreciate it!

Wendy said...

I'm a big grainsack fan myself! These are lovely!

Angie said...

All those sacks are so neat! I saw this too at Joys of Home and loved it. I'll have to put it on my long list of projects I want to try!

Free Art Printables said...

I love those too! I am curious to see how yours turn out!

Anonymous said...

Go for it! I'd love to see how you go about making yours!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love the look, but am afraid they aren't soft enough for a pillow for me. I can't wait to see what you end up doin

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

I love the grain sacks. What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Oh great. Now I've gone and fallen in love with grain sacks . . .

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness.... LOVE this post! How lucky to have come across your blog this morning! :)

The Textile Trunk said...

Thank you so much for showing my pictures on your lovely blog. I thought it would be helpful to clarify that the ebay grain sacks above, are 100% authentic! ~ the grain sacks that Gina refers to are some of the German Printed above. There are many reproductions of these out on the market so it is important to check with the seller before purchasing that the printing is true to the age of the sack~ exactly as Gina says, they are lovely, however if you are looking for the genuine article, it is always important to ask the seller before purchasing! Thank you again! ~ My username on Ebay is Loodylady, however you can view my textiles on http://www.textiletrunk.com/

Petit Coterie said...

Thank you so much for this posting. I also want to thank you for showing my burlap pillow. I have now added a new French grain sack for those of us who cannot afford the real ones.
Thank you again!

Anonymous said...

I especially love the one with the roosters and think it would look pretty cool in a black frame and hung in the kitchen.
very modern,country.

Sweet Pea Pockets.com said...

I have been collecting these grain sacks from a lady in Austria and making handbags . . .the textiles are so wonderful to work with . . . my website is http://www.sweetpeapockets.com/ - I've come up with some great designs!!