THE LOOK FOR LESS

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the name of a show on the Style Network or E! (I love the exclamation point), but I'm stealing the name for today's post.



I love catalogues. I look at them as free magazines, and I thumb through and mark the pages that catch my eye. Do I usually buy things from the catalogues? No...but I do use them as inspiration to create a room I love at a fraction of the price.





For example, I love Ballard Designs.....but not their prices. Like many of you, I just can't fork out that kind of money to decorate my home. So I thought today I'd focus on a few key pieces in a Ballard room and show you how to recreate them for less.

Here's the room:



Pretty right? I decided to single out 3 pieces in the room that give a big impact and see if I can recreate them for less (wait...if I pick 3 things are they still being singled out...or three-ngled out?...sorry).
Here's how much the Ballard items cost:

Ballard Curtains : 84 inch length ar $89 each.

Ballard Clock : 25 inch width is $129.

Total cost for Ballard items: $656.

1) CURTAINS:

I didn't find anything today that was an exact replica of the Ballard curtains, but the curtains below give the same feel.

Ebay (curtains found here) $42.97 for 2 curtain panels with free shipping


Overstock (curtains found here) $19.99 for 2 curtain panels


I also liked these and these from JCPenney's website, but I couldn't copy the pictures for some reason.


2) CLOCK:

I looked all over the internet and I found the best clock prices on Ebay. I'm sure there are other places that have good deals, but this is what I found today.

Ebay (clock found here) $27.99 plus $7.00 shipping



Ebay (clock found here) $36.00 plus $11.00 shipping




3) CONSOLE TABLE:

I usually look at flea-tique stores or Craigslist for furniture pieces. You can get such amazing deals on quality pieces that you wouldn't otherwise be able to afford. Here are some tables on found on Craigslist in different parts of the country. Any one of them would look amazing painted black.

(Note: I'd also shown some items I found on Craigslist in various cities, but I was silly enough to copy the code directly from the link and the photos disappeared once the posting expired. Live and learn!)

Total cost of MY items? $155...versus the Ballard cost of $656. You know what my mom always said, "Where there's a will there's a way...".

34 Suburbanites Said:

Ink Obsession Designs said...

These are great finds!

Amber Filkins said...

Awesome! I also love Pottery Barn magazines. I don't get the Ballard ones, but I feel a subscription comin on.

I have a huge clock like that from Target. It's not shabby though, which I like about that picture from Ballard.

I also love the second set of curtains. I love the black/white slanted check {WHY can't I think of the name of it??}. Anyways, love that look.

Thanks so much for sharing! I shoulda thought of that, lol. :)

Unknown said...

Great finds! I use catalogs for inspiration too, but, who actually BUYS that stuff?

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

I do the same thing. I love to keep catalogs for inspiration. At least those I can rip pages out without guilt. When I like something in my magazines, I mark the pages because I can't bring myself to rip them out. lol

~Michelle

janet said...

i think it is awesome how you showed a look for less. Im always decorating on a budget "then again, most are these days" Wonderful!!!
thanks for sharing
hugs
janet

Adrienne said...

really great! i don't always have an eye for the "you could paint any of these tables black" thing. thanks for sharing your ideas.

Shannan Martin said...

My PB and BD catalogs arrived this week,too! I'm an avid dog-earer of all of my catalogs, even though I know I'll never buy the stuff. Like you said, they are great inspiration points!
-Shannan

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

Another good place for home items is Home Goods...don't know if you have them there, but they always have wonderful treasures there!!! And shopping around is ALWAYS the right choice!

Xazmin said...

You are definitely a fabulous "do it for less" finder! What are some of your fav. catalogs?

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

I don't subscribe to any decorating mags because Ballard is enough eye candy for me! :) You are so awesome to find all of these, you ROCK!!

Erin said...

I do the same thing. I can't imagine actually buying something full-price (or even on sale) from the catalogues. My first thought is always, "How can I recreate that for the least amount of money possible & still look good?"

leigh ann said...

I love Ballard Designs...just not their prices...they have burlap ribbon in there this month that I'd really like to have!! I signed up for their emails last year and got special offers and discounts and was able to get Christmas stockings with monograms for $12 each and I loved them!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE what you do.

Tina

southerninspiration said...

OOOOOHhhh, great finds.......and yes, I love catalogs, too!

Suzanne

Clean and Classic Interiors said...

Love the look! It's like the inspiration room vs the room you can sleep at night being okay with what you spent! The other free magazines I get are Room Service Home and Home Decorators Collection. I also found an article in my Real Simple Magazine of other free decorating magazines - I subscribed but haven't received them yet - let me know if you would like the names! Have a great weekend!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love this post - thanks. Pottery Barn is my favorite to copy.

ellie mae said...

Great job finding the deals and showing how to work them. I love keeping mags. too. I have so many but Pottery Barn is one of my favorites!

Unknown said...

Annicole~
I recently found your blog (love it by the way) and I was going through your archives when I found another reference to Pottery Barn stuff: the pencil woodwork art piece. I just got an email for the Pottery Barn sale and noticed that they had the pencil on sale. It's not 75% off, but it's something! :) Thought if you still liked it you may want to check out their clearance sale.

Anyway, love your blog, I'll be checking back regularly to see what you're working on next!

Bri

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What wonderful ideas!!! I know, I love Ballard too and I use it for inspiration. I just love your blog and everything that you have done!

Thanks!

Jen

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Thanks for your sweet comments Annicole! I got the wrapping paper from Hallmark, but I have also purchased some good ones from Hobby Lobby. I think the trick is to buy the heaviest wrapping paper you can find!

Thanks again and have a super weekend!

XOXOXO
Jen

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Great finds. I love the curtains.

Unknown said...

I love this post. I love how you show that you can have the look for so much less!

Lisa said...

I DO THE SAME THING. GLAD TO HAVE FOUND YOU. GREAT POST! SO HELPFUL.

HUGS FROM MAINE

http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Free Art Printables said...

I am so the same way! thank goodness for paint! Jen

Unknown said...

Stylish post from a super smart savvy shopper! Wish I could get the Ballard catalogue in Australia for inspiration.

Windlost said...

Some great finds! I love the red demi-lune table and the Overstock curtains! I love shopping for LESS!

xo T.

Rebecca W said...

Great Suggestions - thanks for posting!

susan said...

I love this post! Used to watch "Sensible Chic" on HGTV with the same premise, but can't find it anymore. Hope you'll do more like this!

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

Awesome! It really is a great photo!

{oc cottage} said...

You go!!!!!!!!

m ^..^

Anonymous said...

This is the kind of help I need! I love to see pictures that inspire. I'm new to your blog, and I just love it! I like cottage style, but the architecture and style of my actual house is not a cottage, so I like seeing cottage style in a suburban house. It helps give me direction.

Embrace31 said...

Hello! Thank you for sharing! I love to do the same..look through catalogs but shop deals. You might check ROSS for the clock. I've seen them there before for just under $30 they some times have other great deals on accessories.
Just thought I'd share but I'm sure you know this already!

Anonymous said...

Came over from the inspired room and what great finds you posted. I love ballard and pottery barn, but just can not afford it. I have found similar items at JC Penney's, but will try ebay as well next time!

Sandy said...

I love to do the same thing.

Lovely!