I REALLY DO TRY TO BE FOCUSED....REALLY

Friday, February 27, 2009

I really try to just focus on one room at a time so that I can actually get one project finished (ummm, like my master bath) before moving on to the next, but I couldn't resist trying to nail down an idea for my master bedroom. Really, since the rooms need to be friends with one another don't you think it would make sense to have some idea of what my bedroom will look like before I finish the bathroom? That could just be my own convoluded justification speaking...but I'm going with it.

So, here's the story. I stumbled upon the coolest website. It's called sproost.com and it actually has one of the better "What's your style" quizes I've seen. It nailed my style right on the head "58% Nantucket Style, 42% Cottage Chic"...yep, I think that's about right.

It then shows you rooms that fit within your own style, like in my case these (although, I like the first more than the second):





And then they have this awesome feature where you can sort of create your own room by picking furniture and accessories that appeal to you (and you can buy them if you want, but that's not how I shop....$1600 for an armoire? I don't think so).

Here are a bunch of items I picked for my fictional room. It was somewhat enlightening for me to see that I'm drawn to both classic pieces as well as rustic/natural pieces. Apparently, I need that balance. I blame it on being a Gemini.




So, back to my master bedroom (see...I'm trying to be focused here). I was trying to come up with ideas and I thought, "Wait a minute. I love the elements I put together in that Sproost room, why not try to replicate that?". So there you have it. Here's my bedroom inspiration:


As usual I'll try to replicate items through flea-tique stores, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Craigslist, and shopping the house so I can create a room I love at a fraction of the cost. We'll see how well it comes together (after I finish my master bathroom!), but it's nice to have a starting point.


Have a great weekend!

16 Suburbanites Said:

Amber Filkins said...

LOVE this!!! I went over there and took the test. I even blogged about it tonight for my "Hooked on Fridays" over at Julia's Hooked on Houses. Go check them both out! :)

P.S. I linked to you, of course!

Unknown said...

I love your choices! And don't worry, I have decorating ADD too. I just read Amber's post (above), can't wait to check out Sproost!

Unknown said...

Love your style! I'm off to find out mine now.

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

I did this last week and was traditional all the way -- so right!! I need to break it down and rate each thing in the room though, that would be fun. I so have decorating ADD too. And crafting ADD. You should see my basement craft table. Yikes.

CMB said...

I will have to try this...I am a gemini too so it should be interesting! Thanks for sharing this!

trish said...

What a unique place to go! I need to try that out! :o) I have a good idea about colors and such, but no idea how to pull it all together. I am in the process of redoing my laundry room. Hopefully the start and finish of my vision will find it's way into this room. :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Amber B. said...

I took the test but totally missed the part where you can pick out elements for your own room. I need to go back!!

Kelli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelli said...

Hi, I'm Kelli (and having a hard time posting comments today, sorry), but I came across your blog today and I love your ideas!

Jen Kershner said...

Oh, that's so cool. I think I may have a new addiction. Oops!

Tanielle said...

Love your ideas I am going to go have to check it out later. Awesome!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Thanks for the tip, I took the quiz, and it pegged me too. French Eclectic.

Janelle said...

Very cool! I was all over the map (took it twice with extremely different results) but it was still fun. I like your bedroom inspiration pieces--very soothing!

paperjunk-lc said...

I found your blog earlier in the week. I marked in my favorites so I could indulge myself a full look when Saturday morning came. (yea no 8:00 soccer game this morning!) Well I've now gone through every post and I want to tell you how much I like your style. Can't to see more.
Lucinda

Shannan Martin said...

I need to go check out that site! I'm still thinking my style is very close to yours..and, btw, I'm also a Gemini. Not one to put much stock into such things, but ya never know! :) Can't wait to see that bedroom you've got cooking.

Free Art Printables said...

Love the stuff you picked! I find it's so hard when everything is so expensive... I think some one should give us a million dollars each to decorate our homes.I mean, is that too much to ask? :) Jen