- You don't have to furnish/decorate an entire room at one time. Add bargains as you find them and let your room evolve.
- Shop at thrift stores, flea-tique stores, and estate sales. Always remember that you can transform anything with a little paint....and paint is cheap.
- Other great places to find bargains are TJ Maxx/Homegoods/Marshalls, Ebay, and craigslist.
- Never pay full price for anything. Use a coupon, shop sales and clearance items.
- SHOP THE HOUSE! You'll be surprised at how items you already have can be reused in new ways.
- Most importantly, have patience. The bargains are out there, but not necessarily at the exact moment you're looking for them. You'll save boatloads of money by waiting for that deal to come your way...and it will if you're patient.
Sofa: $349 (Ashley Furniture)
Pillows: $8 Handmade with Ralph Lauren fabric bought on Ebay and reused existing inserts
Coffee Table: Hand me down
Plate on Coffee Table: $2.99 TJ Maxx
Candles: $8(?) Garden Ridge
Piano: Family heirloom
Plates Above Piano: Our everyday dishes from Pier One
Lamp: $8 thrift store find
Apothocary Jars: $8.99 and $12.99 TJ Maxx
TOTAL FOR THIS AREA: $398
Bureau: $40 at a flea-tique store (I still get excited when I think about that one)
Lamp: $15 Target (reused old shade)
Large Frame: I'm going to guess $15 (I've had it forever and I simply placed some fabric in it)
Silver Vase: $2.50 on clearance at Hobby Lobby
Books/White Box/Silver Jar: I'm going to say "free" because I've had them forever
Wingback Chair: Hand me down
Slipcover: $38 from QVC
Pillow: $4 Made with Ralph Lauren fabric found on Ebay
Curtains: Purchased 4 linen panels on clearance at Linens and Things for $12 each (pre-closing)
TOTAL FOR THIS AREA?: $162.50
I know this is a weird picture, but I wanted you to see the rug. I'm especially proud of this bargain. I bought it on final clearance at Pottery Barn for $100...it was regularly $400!
Also, included in this photo:
Green pillow: $5 on clearance at Target
Tan pillow: Made with extra curtain panel (included in total above)
TOTAL FOR THIS AREA: $404
Armoire: $200 on craigslist (now I realize I probably could have found a better deal...I'm cheap like that)
Small chair: $19 at flea-tique store (I also think I paid too much for it...you can read about how I added the numbers here)
Framed Art: Frames $10 at Hobby Lobby; Postcards $4.50 from Alicia Bock; Watercolor paper as mat $2.00.
TOTAL FOR THIS AREA: $255.50
Grand Total for the entire living room? $1220