Par-tay at The Inspired Room!

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Melissa at The Inspired Room is having a linky party today. Melissa was struggling with that little thing called motivation to tackle a few painting projects that had been hanging over her head (um...can anyone else relate to this?) and she challenged others to join in and cross a few of our own projects off our lists.

I managed to cross one item off my list. Oh yeah, hold back your applause..."She did one project everyone! Find the confetti ASAP!". In all honesty I would have tackled a couple more projects if we'd had more than 3 hours without rain in the past month...but you know, that's how the fortune cookie crumbles (or something like that).

So, here's what I did.

See this burgundy door that is just screaming "Hey there! I am a full fledged, 100% certified suburban door." I've hated it since I moved in. It's just so...generic...so tract home (no offense to anyone else that has a door like this...I'm just absurdly sensitive to silly things like door colors).


Soooo, I finally did what I've been dying to do for a year and painted the darn thing a nice black in a subtle satin finish.


You'll notice that I ended up painting the plastic window frame thing too because, really, classic doors don't have white plastic window thingies....as far as I've observed.

I love it. I'm so happy with the change. And the best part? It took maybe 2 hours (excluding dry time) and $12 worth of paint. C'mon...you can't beat that.


I still want to paint some oh so fancy and charming numbers on the door, like these from It's the Little Things that Make a House a Home, but that's still on my list. I like to tell myself I'd be bored if I didn't constantly have more items on my to do list.

I also really, really need to spray my patio chairs black. This is one unfinished project that kind of eats at me and I know it will be a HUGE relief when it's finished and we can finally relax on the patio in style. Again, I need dry weather to get this done, though. But that's ok...I'll be patient...no stress...no stress :-).

My advice? Pick ONE project and make a plan to tackle it. Don't let yourself become overwhelmed by your whole list, just focus on one item and get it done. And when that's finished focus on one more. It's no fun being overwhelmed by a mountain of projects hanging over you....and if it's not fun, what's the point?

59 Suburbanites Said:

Ashlee said...

I love the black door! It looks fantastic- love the wreath as well. I really wanted to paint similar numbers on my front door, but I have a mail slot in that exact spot, boo.

Christina said...

Your "new" black door looks fantastic. I also love the numbers and have saved that same inspiration picture.

slip4 said...

Looks great! Can I ask what brand and color paint you used? My house came with an orangey-red door (yuck) which I really need to paint black.

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Thanks!

Slip4- I used Behr exterior paint in a satin finish and asked them to mix it in a true black. They have glossy you can buy in the can premixed, but I'm not a big fan of glossy...it shows all the brush strokes just a little too much.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Your door looks awesome! I painted mine the first week I moved in. There are still houses in my neighborhood that have the same white doors from the beginning. I always wonder why people don't paint them. It makes such a difference!

Yours looks great! I love black - such a classic!

XOXO
Jen

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Looks AWESOME girl!!! Loves me some black, you know I do!!

Carla said...

Great paint choice! It looks so much better in black. The numbers are a great idea.

Shannon @ Silver Trappings said...

I love your black door! My door is next on my list!

Shannon

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Wow, that made SUCH a difference! Amazing! Great job and thanks for joining in and inspiring us with your makeover!!

xo

Teresa said...

Love the black door- I may try that soon- =)

Nicole A. said...

I LOVE THIS! I want to paint my door black soooo bad, what kind of paint do you use on a door? I cannot believe what a difference this makes!!! Awesome Job!! Love the wreath too!

Anonymous said...

the front door looks so nice and fresh..thanks for the inspiration!

Ness Lockyer said...

It looks sooooooo much better!
I need to take your advice and get on with my chaise...really, I will...this weekend ;)
Ness xx

Vee said...

Very elegant door! You did a great job...

Rachel said...

I put a monogram on our front door. I love black doors but we rent and there really isn't a lot I can do to my door. This little monogram is from Uppercase Living. My sister had a party last year and this is one of the things that I got. Here's where I posted about it.
http://momofthreeormore.blogspot.com/2009/03/wordless-wednesday_18.html
I think your door is beautiful.

June said...

I love your black door! I want to paint my burgundy one black badly..one day..

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Good advice...I have a whole list of projects in my head, and it can be very overwhelming. I love your new front door!!! I want to paint ours and the vinyl shutters on the house, but hubby didn't like that idea. Maybe I should just do it, and apologize later? ;)

Adrienne said...

We, too, painted a front door black once... it was also a suburban home and it made all the difference in the world. Very classic, pretty! Great job!! I especially like pic with the numbers on the door... get busy on that one:)

Tami (Pixeltrash) said...

That looks awesome! I love Black too but my house is brown... with a brown door. How boring is that? I've considered painting it many times. Maybe some day. Red would be nice.

Can't wait to see your patio furniture after you've painted it.

Clean and Classic Interiors said...

Love the black door and the numbers on the door are so cute too! Way to go girl!

Sam said...

love it and love the wreath!! gorgeous!

the pleasures of homemaking said...

Love the black door - a classic look! I remember when I painted my door and it was more time consuming that it looked. So good job!

Manuela

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

AnNicole, Your door looks wonderful black. I am so glad your decided to go black! Thanks for sharing your beautiful results!

Jane said...

Love the door! It looks to terrific all one color. I love the idea of painted on numbers. I have actually cut out a similar picture for my "inspiration board." Now all I have to do is get the house! Details.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

The new door color looks SO great! I also have a black door & don't think I'll ever change it! :) I need to remember what you said & just focus on one project at a time till it's done, instead of flitting around between a million things at once!!

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Looks great! I'm actually wanting to paint my door a crimson red :0) I also live in suburbia, but a suburbia of 50s homes so a red door would really pop around here :0)
I like your patio/deck area. I know those chairs will look great in black!

Rebekah said...

*Sigh* I love it. I'm dying to paint our front door because our porch is white, white, white. White siding, white door, white sconces. Seriously, who has white sconces? But when I asked Husband what he thought about it he said he was afraid it would make it stick. :P I think he just doesn't get the "curb appeal" thing. So I'm thinking of just painting our house number on the door instead. Better than nothing, right?

Theresa said...

Stopped in from The Inspired Room. The door looks great black.
I love your design board ideas. You have amazing decor taste and it is just like mine;) My bedroom ideas are almost identicle to yours. I am almost finished with my bedroom makeover. Great site and I am sure I will be back!

Anonymous said...

Looks great!
You will really enjoy the numbers when you add them : )

Dee

Neabear said...

You did a great job on your door. I like how you did the window thingy too. LOL! Your chairs will look great to when you get to them. I know, I know, one thing at a time.....

sandi said...

Hi Annicole
I would love to paint my boring front door, but I have a husband who loves oak. I really like the black, it makes such a statement and the wreath stands out against it. I recieved an I LOVE YOUR BLOG award a while back and was so supposed to send it on to 7 other fantastic blogs, so I am sending it on to you. Your blog is very informative, interesting to read and you have great pictures. I hope you come over to my blog for a visit.
Sandi

Tiffany said...

Excellent advice. Your front door looks amazing and I bet it really sticks out in the neighborhood (in a good way!) :)

Thanks for sharing!

gina said...

Love the black door- it came out great. That number idea is really cute... I might use it. :) I'm glad I found you via the party and I'm adding this blog to my regularly scheduled blog list. :)

KarenB said...

I'm so glad you also painted the stupid plastic stuff on your door. Why do that make such a thing? I've always hated those. Your door looks fantastic, very much improved!

Anonymous said...

I have a similar door, but mine is white, which is probably worse. I've been wanting to paint it black but have just been waiting for good weather. Now that I see how amazing yours looks, I can't wait to get started! Love it!

TidyMom said...

you door looks AWESOME!! that's on my list for the next few months as well!!

~TidyMom

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Wow, I agree with everyone! What a major difference. the black is stunning. I love it all!
Blessings,
Debbie

Precision Quality Laser said...

Awesome front door! I can't wait to get a front door that I actually want to draw attention to..LOL!

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

I love the door painted black. Black is so classy. I love red doors too, but there is something about a black door. Your turned out fabulous. I have a white ugly security door (came with the house). I'm toying with the idea to paint it black. Maybe then I will like it better. I'll put it on my list.

Melissa said...

Black is a great color for almost anything! Painting your door made a huge difference! I bet you are so proud! Looks great!

Melissa :D

Sabrina said...

looks wonderful. I'm glad you painted the plastic window thing, it adds to the charm.

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

That looks fantastic! Painting a door IS a big deal so I am giving you a virtual pat on the back. :) Being patient enough for the drying time is 90% of the battle. Enjoy your new door!

Emily@remodelingthislife said...

Door looks great! I just painted my blah white door red and would love to copy that inspiration photo with the numbers on it. Good luck with the chairs project!

Amber Filkins said...

Oooh, I LOVE it, AnNicole!! Now it DOES say 'suburban cottage' instead of tract home special.

I painted our door red back in November, and I liked it for awhile, but I REALLY want to paint it black. I was trying to be bold, but it just isn't my style. I really imagine it black.

And DEFINITELY a good call to paint that white part. It looks SO good, and makes it really pop. Like the wreath too!

Mrs. Petrie said...

The black is such a huge improvement. Can't wait to paint my suburban white door!

Sharon said...

Kudos for gettin' it done! It's classy and beautiful!

imjacobsmom said...

What a great choice. I like that you painted the window trim black, too. It really looks good. I think you should go for the house numbers! They're cute! ~ Robyn

Karla said...

What a HUGE difference that made to the look of your home! I love it! And I say, go for the numbers...but I suppose I am pretty biased! ;)

Thanks for including me in this!

~Karla @ It's The Little Things...

Sallie said...

You have definitely inspired me. I think I will tackle painting the door this weekend. We are going for a chocolate brown to match our shutters and I may just do those numbers as well.

countrymans said...

Looking good, I love the rich black color.. and good bye to the white plastic thingy.. :)

Unknown said...

Great advice at the end, there, girl! I love how your door turned out, the black is fab.
I have a patio set that desperately needs painted black too. Maybe this weekend!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Your front door looks fantastic! That black really makes a statement!

Jessica said...

I love the black door! I want to do the painted number thing, too, but I need a lot of space for my house number.

Kristen@nosmallthing said...

I have always loved black doors. Our door is black. Yours looks fantastic!!! I love your wreaths, too.

I totally agree with your advice...pick one thing and tackle it. I tend to make a huge list of projects, then start something, look at my list, become overwhelmed and procrastinate. Because I'll NEVER finish all of it.

standsure said...

This is a classic that will never go out of style. What is it about black that seems so right? I love it!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Hey...I have that same blasted burgandy door! I've got you beat though. I've lived with it for 2 years. Ahhhhhhh...I'm dying to paint it black. I'd planned on using my leftover semigloss, but you changed my mind. I'm definitely going with satin. I think I can swing a couple extra bucks if it'll hide the flaws better! Thanks for the tips.

~Amanda

Amber said...

Oh my...you have my door! I'm so glad I'm not the only one that doesn't like the brick red/maroonish color. Now I might just have to paint my door black and the shutters too! It looks great!

Anne said...

love your door! i'm getting ready to paint mine black as well so thanks for the tip on what paint you used. what prep work did you do? did you sand it first? thanks!!

Kim said...

Your door looks great. Mine is already black, but I have some ugly dated windows in them to contend with, so sad!