Rooms in Progress

Thursday, February 25, 2010

I know it’s been a while since I’ve given you an update up my master bathroom redo. I promise, I’ve been working as fast as my adorable little pennies and free time allow (Oh why can’t I have one of those HGTV budgets?). I also swear to you that I’m thiiiiis close to showing you the next phase of the project, and, I have to say, it’s pretty darn cool. I’m kind of loving it.

_________________________________________________

That said, I’m coming to terms with the notion that (at least for me) just about every room will be a constant work in progress. I’m okay with that – I would venture to say I even like that.

I had to laugh the other day, though. I was chatting with a friend, and she said “I paint and decorate a room once and consider it done.” My eyes got big, my jaw dropped and I thought “Ummm, not me” (oh, wipe that fake look off surprise off your face).

I love the redo I did in my master bedroom last summer? There’s nothing like waking up in the morning and smiling at the soothing paint color on the wall (okay – there are better, more meaningful joys in life…but you know what I mean…hopefully).

As much as I love my bedroom, there are still a few things in the room I’m not totally happy with yet. Such as:

ISSUE 1) My bed: It looks fine in pictures but oh my goodness it’s LOUD. Between the flimsy metal bed frame and the wobbly headboard it squeaks and creeks at the slightest movement…even at the “earthquake” my 10 pound poodle causes walking across the mattress (eek…eek…eek with every pawstep). NO…NOT GOOD.

Solutions?

- I’m scouring Craigslist everyday for an inexpensive (and solid) bed. Anything with potential will do.

- I could buy a new metal bed frame (they range from $40-60) and see if there’s any way to strengthen (or pad) the back of the headboard to prevent wobbliness (and constant smacking of the headboard against the wall…again, NOT GOOD). Umm...I should mention (for those of you with minds in the gutter) it's just the poodle and me in my bed...I roll over, the headboard smacks...um kay.

- I could ditch the flimsy headboard and make my own upholstered headboard. Love this look with the nailhead detail from Crate and Barrel…ooh ahhh.

- This might sound crazy, but Big Lots sells a “wood” sleigh bed that seems pretty solid for $299 (more than I want to spend, but pretty darn good for a sturdy, lovely, new bed).

ISSUE 2) Fabric: I love my Thomas O’Brien Pewter Blossom pillow (I have the duvet now too). It’s classy, shimmery, matches my wall color, and it’s oh so soothing…but I almost want to add a little more pattern or texture.

Solutions?

- I’m LOVING this fabric by Premier Prints (Barber Taupe/Robin). I ordered a yard to see how it will work with my existing bedding (fingers crossed…did I mention I love it?). Works in the picture, eh? Crossing my toes now too :-).

Master Bedroom Barber Fabric

- Mix in some light taupe linen accents (like I have on the lamp shades).

I’ll keep you posted on any changes I make. And I cross my heart, hope to die, stick a needle in my eye promise that I’ll have an update on the nearly finished project in my master bath ASAP.

Have a great weekend!

31 Suburbanites Said:

Anonymous said...

I am laughing hard because I thought I had the loudest bed. There are even scratches in my wall from every time I turn over, the headboard knocks against it. And, my mattress now has a valley in the middle and those aren't cheap!
I don't think you need any suggestions - every idea you have sounds perfect. I LOVE that fabric with the birds. Definately use that somewhere - pillows, band on your curtains? Can't wait to see the bathroom reveal ~
Sarah

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

I had the same problem with my bed, but I solve it by mounting the headboard to the wall. Seriously can't believe how long I lived the other way. I haven't turned over and smacked the wall in ages...something to consider!

Sjn said...

I agree w/ BlahBlah, either attach your headboard to the wall with long screws, or make a frame out or 2x4's and screw those into the headboard. I've used a homemade 2x4 frame to raise an older mattress set to be higher, like the thick new sets.

Kolein said...

Loud beds are definitely out! I agree!

The colors in your room are soothing. Love the linen with the pale blue. Makes me kinda sleepy just looking at the pics!

Go for the best bed you can afford, is what I say. I always settled and had creaky, squeaky, lumpy beds and then I got one that was lovely. Just about every night I crawl in and say, "I love my bed!"

Tonia Hobbs said...

Your bedroom is so pretty. I have a fabric headboard, and it is very soft and cozy, I think you would really like one. I am most thrilled to see your plate arrangement above your bed. I have been agonizing about something simple and afforable above my bed (as you can see on my blog). You have been much inspiration. Good luck with the noisy bed issue. It makes me smile. . .

Barb said...

My headboard is attached to the wall. I also attached some of those felt pad things that you put on chair legs at the top corners. This muffles any sound that is made if the wood does happen to bump against the wall. Might this help, at least temporarily?

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

Oh, I love that fabric you ordered! I hope it matches. It will be gorgeous. I know about the creaky bed thing. I have a sleigh bed that actually makes a lot of noise. Drives me insane!

Richella Parham said...

I wrote a post this week about my guest room headboards. I made upholstered headboards five years ago and just reupholstered them. I made them before upholstered headboards were such a big thing. I had very little money to spend and no idea what to do--so I just cut a piece of plywood, padded it with foam from an old mattress pad, and covered it with fabric. I added decorative cording around the outside to make it a little prettier. Anyway, these headboards are still going strong, and all they are is covered plywood that rests up against the wall. The weight of the bed holds it in place. And because the wood is upholstered, it doesn't make noise if it hits against the wall. You could probably do something similar, except that yours would likely be much prettier!

Meanwhile, you could take some of those stick on felt pads that they make for the legs of chairs and stick them onto the parts of your bed that hit the wall. I'll bet they wouldn't show, and they'd at least muffle the noise.

Good luck! It'll be fun to see what you come up with.

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

I totally had my mind in the gutter. :)
OK, I know you have mentioned the wall color a meellion times, but what is that gorgeous color???? It is exactly what I am looking for in our guest room. Is it more grey or blue?

Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} said...

I always read ur blog but have never commented. I love what you said - that a room is just a constant process (is that what u said?!) Thats why i waited so long to start a blog of my own, i wanted to show a finished project, but thats never gonna happen so i might as well show what i do as i go along. Thanks for having such a cute blog!

http://showandtell-sausha.blogspot.com/

Windlost said...

Your room looks lovely. So sad about the squeeky headboard situation. That kind of stuff happens. All the folks in Europe mount their headboards on the wall - saw a ton like this in France. Otherwise, looks gorgeous - love all the elements.

xo Terri

TheVirginiaHouse said...

I am NEVER done with anything! Trade this for that, move that there, paint this....never ends. Keeps life exciting. I love that fabric that you are going to try out. Wish I had somewhere to put it...hmmm.
Looking forward to seeing your bathroom.

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel about your home being a constant work in progress.. I was talking with a friend the other day about how I'll probably end up overhauling my house once a year (though probably twice!) because I just can't help myself. She just stared gobsmacked at me. Some people don't understand!!

Anonymous said...

I have that sleigh bed from Big Lots! I've had it for a few years now and I LOVE it. It's currently at my parents house now (I moved out a little while ago) but I do miss it. We switched over to my boyfriends bedroom set (mission style, blegh!). I highly suggest getting it. It will last you awhile and the price is right!

Carrie said...

If you have the tools, maybe check out Ana's knockoffwood blog. You could build what you want for a fraction of the cost and also could stain/paint it exactly how you want!

Just an idea. I think it looks wonderful as it though.

joanne said...

I agree with the other smart posters above! how about mounting the headboard to the wall itself and get a new non squeakey bed frame that would be separate from the headboard? Just an idea to buy you more time for other projects!
Joanne

Shonassie said...

I know what you mean about the squeaky bed frame! I don't know how it's put together, but if it is with nuts and bolts, try replacing all of the washers with rubber washers, this will cut down on the squeaks from the frame. Mounting the headboard to the wall also will stop the movement and the clunking.

If a new bed is in order, try checking IKEA. I was quite surprised with the slat system that they have for a foundation and their beds and headboards are great and not so pricey either.

Good Luck!!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Okay - I'm pretty sure I have the best readers EVER! Y'all have the best ideas. Thank you! I'll think it over and let you know what I decide.

By the way, I should have included this in the post, but the wall color is Behr Paint+Primer Silver Tinsel. It's not in the regular Behr colors it's in their new Paint+Primer colors.

Delightful Dwelling said...

Have you thought about building your own bed following one of the plans on the blog Knoff-Off Wood:http://knockoffwood.blogspot.com/

I also saw a cool headboard treatment using that same fabric you picked out on A Penny Saved blog:
http://www.apennysavedblog.com/

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Um, I'm with Sarah...I must be trashy b/c my mind totally went there. ;) Love your new fabric choice...I think your room looks great!

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the blog, "Knock Off Wood"? She (and yes, I'm saying she) has plans for all kinds of beds that regular people can make. She copies from Crate and Barrel, Restoration Hardware, etc. and makes these totally easy, user friendly plans that anyone can make. She is also on facebook and you can see what other people have made and everyone raves about her. You might find a bed that you can make yourself!! Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry! Someone else also suggested "Knockoffwood" before me and I, of course, missed her comment. My tired eyes need to go to bed now.

Simply Stafford said...

I actually have the wooden sleigh bed you show from Big Lots (got mine from a wholesale furniture store)and it is very heavy and sturdy. Love the color scheme you have going and can't wait to see the finished room. Good luck!!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

our room is lovely! I love the fabric you picked out too. My last headboard knocked on the wall all the time - drove me crazy!

I am working on redoing my master bedroom too. It is taking much longer than I thought it would. I guess I just want to get it right.

Your bedroom is beautiful!

XOXO
Jen

Shining Windows said...

we used to have a bed like that, old metal headboard and the kids would run down the hall and jump on our bed until i noticed they were putting a hole in our drywall!

Anonymous said...

I love the paint color in your room, so pretty! All your choices are pretty but my favorite is the upholstered headboard. I'm wanting one myself, but I'm chicken to try to do it myself and I don't want to spend the $'s. So for now, I'm stuck with nothing, lol!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Prior to my getting my lovely double brass & steel bed frame back, my box spring was the source of all the noise -- and yes I was alone in my bed. So, I got a piece of plywood cut to size and put it between the box spring and the mattress. That worked for the noise. As for the headboard -- sorry, I didn't have one.

Courtney Walsh said...

I confess my mind was in the gutter... hahahah...

I wish I had solutions for you but I so don't! I just really love your master bedroom and wanted to say so!

And confess my gutter-brain! :)

angela walker jewelry said...

We had that same problem and ended up taking the (very expensive) bed down and just getting a basic metal bed frame for the box spring. It looks awful. It taught me that a heavy price tag doesn't always mean it is free from squeaks and creaks!

Melanie said...

I am loving it so far! I am of the mindset that your home is never finished. Mine isn't. I love to do things to it and constantly change things. I don't always do that but just do a tweak here or there.

m @ random musings said...

Cheap soln ass-vice:

Get the metal frame - make sure it's got the holes for attaching a headboard [very important].

For extra support of the bed itself, have some particleboard (I used the stuff rated for subfloors) cut to the size of your bed. The VOCs are terrible initially, just let it air out in the garage or basement.

Attach your existing headboard using bolts into the frame. Two bolts per headboard leg.

Hide the fugly metal frame by making a dust ruffle - a complementary top sheet with box pleats at the corners will give a tailored, yet feminine look.