Our Suburban Traveler

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hi kids – I thought I’d share some pix from my recent travels with you. I went to Amsterdam for work – yes…Amsterdam…as in The Netherlands. I promise you the experience was far less glamorous than it sounds – but I was grateful to be able to go nonetheless.

I was shocked to discover that they force you to wear wooden shoes there,

IMG_3164

but I quickly adjusted once I found out there were at least more size appropriate options (I know…I’m hilarious) :).

IMG_3167

But seriously, Amsterdam is a seriously gorgeous city. Here are a few pix for your viewing pleasure. Isn’t the architecture amazing?!

Amsterdam 1

IMG_3151

I had a free day the last day I was there, and I was able to get out to the countryside where I saw some seriously fantastic windmills. Like…seriously.

IMG_3187

IMG_3186

IMG_3202

Aww, see the ducks?

IMG_3185

And I knew only YOU would appreciate the beautiful of this bicycle. The lettering, the basket, it’s state of casual repose….Perfection.

IMG_3168

Vaarwel

(that’s goodbye in Dutch – although I’m not saying “goodbye” goodbye…just “until next time”)

18 Suburbanites Said:

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

How fun! And you ARE hilarious. Like...seriously ;) :) :). BTW, did you find some way to smuggle back that bicycle in your suitcase? It's gorgeous!

Kate Riley said...

AnNicole !!!!! So nice to hear from you! I was in Amsterdam ten years ago, I found those canals to be more charming than Venice. I would ride my bicycle around for hours. Isn't their chocolate divine ? I must say, it's better than the shoes *wink*.
Can't wait to hear more from you.

Kate

Diane at Perfectly Imperfect Life said...

Such a pretty city! I'd love to live there. Think I'll, at least, have to start working on my family for a vacation there.

Lettered Cottage said...

LOVED this post!
And I can't believe you went to Amsterdam without telling us!
(kidding) :-)

My mom's side of the family is Dutch, so I hope to get there some day too!

Layla

Marianne said...

Yep we all walk around in wooden shoes over here and live in windmills.
Oh and btw vaarwel means farewell and isn't used in normal day language. So I say 'tot ziens' to you!

Infarrantly Creative said...

Welcome home. How totally glamorous your travels sound. My job only takes me to and from the grocery store (haha! - stay at home mom ---bad joke!)

Ms. Bake-it said...

Love the bicycle! I have always wanted to visit Amsterdam and hope to do just that some day. It really does look beautiful.

~ Tracy

Cynimin said...

I loved your history lesson! The pics are so nice. I want your job!!!

Creamy White said...

How lovely! It sounds you had a good time there! Good for you!!
Li :-)

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Good to hear from you. Love the bicycle, and what a great opportunity to visit a place you might not be able to go otherwise. Beautiful old buildings and windmills. Jackie

gracefulvintage said...

Love Amsterdam, one of my favorite places!
I was worried about you since your last post a whole month ago. I have learned so much from subscribing to your blog, you are a very talented and generous person, I'M GLAD YOUR BACK!!!

gracefulvintage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gracefulvintage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi said...

Missed you & your blogs, AnNicole! Glad to see this update and your beautiful pictures from Amsterdam. It's on my list of places I'd like to visit.

jayayceeblog said...

Well, I can add Amsterdam to my list of places to go now. Looks like a fun trip!

Rachel said...

I was just thinking this evening about your blog and wondering how you were doing cause I hadn't seen a post in awhile. And then you popped up with my 'next' button! Glad you had a good trip and it looks like fun.

Sarah said...

Amsterdam looks so beautiful. I've been there a few times on really long layovers. I've seen lots of wooden shoes but never seen the countryside. I would love to see it. And I will also agree that European chocolate is divine.

Lucky you for getting to visit for work. How fun!

Melanie said...

Glad you are back! We have missed you:) Love the photos.